H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Speedo drive

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well the spare "long" one turned out to be the wrong rotation so may be suitable for a D then, I'm borrowing one for the moment and will post a picture of the "long" one and maybe someone will be able to identify it.
Usually BSA. To check the speedo direction, hold the body in your left hand, turn the input spindle clockwise and you should be able to look down the cable hole and see the slot turning clockwise.

Albervin

VOC Member
A chap in NSW bought a batch of BSA speedo drives and then had the correct drive gear cut for Vincents. At $180 for a brand new and correct drive I bought two.

robin stafford

Forum User
VOC Member
It sounds like an earlier one for the series "A''s perhaps...........I would be most interested in buying it from you, but I don't have a stock post war one to exchange, but I do need one for this "A" Comet I'm restoring, its one of the few remaining items left that I need. Cheers...........Greg.
Hi Greg I have a brand new old stock A speedo drive if you interested cheers Rob

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Rob, thanks for the offer I will PM you some details. Much appreciate the offer...........Cheers........Greg.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I used a two jaw puller with the center screw bearing on a piece of steel plate that was trimmed to be just shorter than the OD of the hub.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
This was in 1981, so I don't remember specifically, but I probably filed a slight taper on the new hub I was using for a lead in and then evenly tapped on the gear. Now, I might try making a puller with a long bolt through the hub, but the careful tapping method should be OK. Others may have more recent experience and better recollections.

vibrac

VOC Member
I saw a front Speedo gear and angle drive mounted on the rear wheel of a Vincent comet at the annual rally it was in the open air on the the side of the hub without a brake drum. I only spotted it as it went away I guess he had a speedo less front brake. A neat solution.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a friend doing the something similar on a special as he's putting discs on the front and thinks it's a neater solution. His is an opposite direction drive and is going in the rear left side drum. He's also built a cush drive for the rear sprocket on the right instead of having a drum.