Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Speedo Drive Rear.PNG

David

Chris.R

VOC Member
David
I guess the same process can be adopted for the Comet where the sprocket is in the front hub, I went out and bought a puller today and some spanners but what I really need now to get in between the spokes is a 9/16" ratchet ring straight to get the drum nuts off, I am having trouble getting one in imperial here in the UK. I am still looking but guess you have them in the States not taking on metric in any great degree. Are they available over there.

Chris

davidd

VOC Member
Chris,

I found that I had to use box end on the front hub as there is little room to work on the narrow front hub. On the wider rear hub you can use a ratchet. I use American AN bolts with MS nuts, so I can use a small 3/8" socket or wrench on the nuts.
DSCN2381.jpg

You have to grind a flat on one of the bolt's hexes to fit it on the hub. The MS (military spec) nuts are often called "jet nuts" and are exceptionally strong and light as well as being lock nuts.

The bolts are AN5-7A and the nuts are MS21042-5, both with 5/16-24 threads.

David

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
David
I guess the same process can be adopted for the Comet where the sprocket is in the front hub, I went out and bought a puller today and some spanners but what I really need now to get in between the spokes is a 9/16" ratchet ring straight to get the drum nuts off, I am having trouble getting one in imperial here in the UK. I am still looking but guess you have them in the States not taking on metric in any great degree. Are they available over there.

Chris
Can be done with ring /open ended spanner but a shorter length one makes it easier sit down and put rim on lap wheel upright as on bike you can get fingers in between normal Vincent spoke pattern you can also bend spanner to give more clearance gets easier with each nut as you get a routine going

Chris.R

VOC Member
Yes I am finding that it gets easier but getting them back on is going to be tough I cannot believe the factory found it this difficult, This mornings job remove the speedo sprocket now I have bought a puller then start on the rear end, I have found the drums encrusted in crud which will have to be scraped out and then wet and dry likely the best option. Then to remove the thirty year old brand new rubber. I ordered some ratchet spanners last night which may help the return leg of the job
Speedo sprocket_DSC0572.JPG

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Yes I am finding that it gets easier but getting them back on is going to be tough I cannot believe the factory found it this difficult, This mornings job remove the speedo sprocket now I have bought a puller then start on the rear end, I have found the drums encrusted in crud which will have to be scraped out and then wet and dry likely the best option. Then to remove the thirty year old brand new rubber. I ordered some ratchet spanners last night which may help the return leg of the jobView attachment 23427
If you visit The Vincent.com and look under wheels/fenders scroll down and you will see how to apply localised heat to speedo gear and it will come off easily Just the reverse of heating it up to put it on

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
It is, or should be with correctly made components, possible to construct the hubs, spoke flanges and drums before lacing on the rim. It is not possible if one's spokes are not bent correctly and/or if the drum profile is wrong at the "back".