H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Speedo drive

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone tell me the internal ratio of the right angle speedo drive, mine's just gone this afternoon and I've one something like I can make fit, and I'll also look for another at Stafford tomorrow.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Thanks Greg, lurking at the back of my mind was 3 : 2 which of course is the same, that's what this other has, it stands out an extra 1/2" though. Probably for something with the drive gear further inboard.
Chris

greg brillus

VOC Member
It sounds like an earlier one for the series "A''s perhaps...........I would be most interested in buying it from you, but I don't have a stock post war one to exchange, but I do need one for this "A" Comet I'm restoring, its one of the few remaining items left that I need. Cheers...........Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The longer speedo gearbox was used on the series D so that the speedo cable would clear the fiberglass front mudguard. It was a generic conponent and also used by other bike manufacturers. As far as I know the series A speedo gearbox was the same as used on the B & C's.
Simon

clevtrev

VOC Member
The longer speedo gearbox was used on the series D so that the speedo cable would clear the fiberglass front mudguard. It was a generic conponent and also used by other bike manufacturers. As far as I know the series A speedo gearbox was the same as used on the B & C's.
Simon
The gears are opposite hand, due to the drive being on the other side of the body.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well I saw one at Stafford, at £220 I think I will take a chance finding another, mind you the long one is NOS so should outlast me !!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well the spare "long" one turned out to be the wrong rotation so may be suitable for a D then, I'm borrowing one for the moment and will post a picture of the "long" one and maybe someone will be able to identify it.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Can anyone tell me the internal ratio of the right angle speedo drive, mine's just gone this afternoon and I've one something like I can make fit, and I'll also look for another at Stafford tomorrow.
Chris
You say yours has "just gone". I assume you mean the internals have worn and given up? If that's the case, then I was at Maughans last year and Graham was just finishing off a batch of brand new internal gears.

Simon