Speedo drive removal....

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In A few months I will be replacing the front brake drums etc...As part of the task I will have to remove & refit the ring gear that drives the speedo drive...Are there any tricks to this?...If I put a quantity of single malt on the table is there anyone who can come and assist/direct?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
First remove the stake marks from the hub, then apply heat to the ring gear, and with the wheel inverted the ring gear should drop off .if it does not you may have to tease it with a pair of levers.
cheers stumpy lord
(norman)

1660bob

VOC Member
Hang on Norm...... The hub is alloy, the gear steel.The rate of expansion for alloy is greater than that of steel therefore if any heat is used, it will quickly get into the hub and TIGHTEN the gear onto the hub. Yes,we heat crankcases/cylinder heads to loosen main bearings /steel valve guides etc -in these examples the steel part is surrounded by the alloy and hence loosens its grip on the steel component when heated (well over normal running temp) but in the front hubits the opposite- the steel surrounds the alloy.Theoretically, freezing would loosen the gear, but in reality, they are not all that tight and a decent three legged puller wil have it off in a flash,stake marks will not have any effect on the pull, the alloy will push safely out of the way and the gear will push back on with a bit of loctite, then re-stake for peace of mind. Bob

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Wow, I did not know that but you see . I have only been around vincents since 1967.
yes I agree that they are not a tight fit, And I was not advocating that the gear ring be heated to a cherry red( Joke).But I do not agree with you about the stake marks not being removed having seen a hub that colapsed due to the stake marks being left and the owner tried pulling the ring over them with a three legged puller.
stumpy lord