Speedo Drive gear

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone, can some one advise me as to how I remove the speedo drive gear from the front hub of my 48 Rapide so as I can remove a brake drum, It appears to have been peened on but not sure if it presses straight off or screws off or whatever , thanks for any replies..Bill

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gently peen the existing peen marks inwards and then use a puller. You willl need a block of something in the middle to spread the load over the bearing. There are no threads involved.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Similar to TT, I used a small piece of angle iron that I ground to fit within the gear ID. It rested on the end of the hub, not the bearing race.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Another way which removes speedo gear and brake drum in one go is to remove all the hub bolt nuts, insert a wooden drift through the spokes and gently tap away on the back of the drum. This way both parts will come off together.

deejay499

VOC Member
Like NKT267, I have always heated then up for removal and replacing. Works a treat. Just be careful not to concentrate the heat onto a cold drum. DJ

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
They ought to be shrunk on. I've had two slacken, so I reassembled with Loctite. Should come off easy with a bit of gentle heating, but be quick: if the heat spreads into the hub the hub expands...