Speedo drive gear removal

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have to remove the speedo drive gear in order to replace the brake drum - how is the gear removed?..

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
You'll get a lot of different answers, but I just use an old tapered roller bearing and some old nuts and washers as spacers and pull it off with a three legged puller. It does not need to be a super tight fit on the hub and is retained by punching anyway. Loctite would be even better when refitting.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I used a puller and a chunk of steel that I ground to bridge across the hub for the puller screw to bear on.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
I have to remove the speedo drive gear in order to replace the brake drum - how is the gear removed?..

Before refitting the old gear you could consider drilling and tapping 2 or more holes for extractor screws, on the same PCD as the holes on the brake drum fixing bolts. Equal tightening of the extractor screws, which bear against the alloy hub between the fixing bolts, forces the gear off.

Maybe the VOC Spares people could do the same for new items?

But as non-standard, this mod could fall foul of Concours judges.

Just a thought - never done it myself.

Len Matthews

VOC Member

Easy, just remove all five brake drum bolt nuts, pass a stout wooden drift through the spokes from the opposite side, drive off the drum which will automatically force off the speedo gear. A scrap piston makes a good drift for putting the ring gear back on.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Before refitting the old gear you could consider drilling and tapping 2 or more holes for extractor screws, on the same PCD as the holes on the brake drum fixing bolts. Equal tightening of the extractor screws, which bear against the alloy hub between the fixing bolts, forces the gear off.

Maybe the VOC Spares people could do the same for new items?

But as non-standard, this mod could fall foul of Concours judges.

Just a thought - never done it myself.

Sorry but the above contains at least one error.

"Equal tightening of the extractor screws, which bear against the alloy hub between the fixing bolts, forces the gear off." should read
"Equal tightening of the extractor screws, which bear against the brake drum between the fixing bolts, forces the gear off."

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I used a gear puller with great success..and refit the gear last night with a "soupcon" of blue loctite..