Speedo drive from LH rear brake drum, on Egli build

dagriise@online.no

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have bought a rear hub that accepts a vincent front brake drum, on the left side. Looks like this: http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3790/title/vsm-egli-rear-wheel/cat/675 The std speedo gear box drive gear fits inside the drum.

I have also a std 5" speedo, with an angle drive on the back. -Have been told i want a speedo cable rotation clockwise when looking down onto it , from the riding positon. (at the speedo end.)

Question: Will the std speedo gear box give me correct rotation for this? Alternatively does anybody know of some other bike i can source an other rotation direction from? (wiht the right ratio) Alternatively is there a reversing intermediate gearbox available somewhere...

Regards Dag
Norway

Albervin

VOC Member
If the drive is on the LH then the rotation will be opposite to that from the RH. I cannot think of an easy solution. It may be possible to reverse the mechanism in the speedo but that would require
an expert to confirm.

clevtrev

VOC Member
If the drive is on the LH then the rotation will be opposite to that from the RH. I cannot think of an easy solution. It may be possible to reverse the mechanism in the speedo but that would require
an expert to confirm.
The easy solution, is to fit the opposite handed drive gears that I have.