Speedo Drive and oil leak...Still at it...

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The muffs are bored to make the hole truly round, so that the contact is maximized with the new round oversize liner. (VOCSC lists ODs of new liners of standard, +.030", and +.060") Many times liners are almost loose in the muff or only contacting in a few spots, as evidenced by burnt oil on the OD. This is not meant to guilt you into tearing your engine apart next week, but to keep in mind when you might have the barrels off in the future. For instance, if you were putting in new pistons, you would want to take apart thr muff assembly and inspect to see if you really also need new liners. Then you might say to yourself, "A 90mm bore might be nice!"

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Thanks Bruce ! It does make me feel better.. One less bit to renew!

Not exactly Eric..... When you get to the stage of rebuilding with new parts, the best thing you can do to for your heads is upgrade to guides with seals. In fact, that is probably the single best upgrade to do to a Vincent engine (I'm considering the "vibrating slug" Miller regulator as an Electrical part).
Cheers, John

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks Alyn,

I do indeed have the same issue.. took me a few days to figure it out. My bracket is the original one and it does indeed sit at the wrong angle on the fork link and causes the cable to compress or bend at to severe of an angle. To fix this I put some half washers under the back of the bracket to tilt the whole thing forward when the two bolts are tightened up....The latest failure came about due to the end of the cable that goes into the speedo's angle drive was to long and when tightened up it bound and caused the cable failure..

Thanks for the help..
Eric
A batch of speedo cables from the VOCS had too long a metal "skirt" at the speedo end which made it impossible to fit on a B fitted with a 5" clock. I think the current ones are OK but check anyway if you buy a cable from the VOCS.

vibrac

VOC Member
I may be wrong but I think the spares company had located a source of speedo drive end caps they may be available by now

Ducdude

VOC Member
A batch of speedo cables from the VOCS had too long a metal "skirt" at the speedo end which made it impossible to fit on a B fitted with a 5" clock. I think the current ones are OK but check anyway if you buy a cable from the VOCS.

Thanks All,

After fragging 2 new cables it turns out the 90 degree drive on the back of the shadow speedo and a dodgy clump of grease that would migrate and jam up the works then move on...I pulled it again and cleaned the heck our of it and then re lubed with gear oil and light grease...After a 50 test all seems smoother then ever! I even but the stock OEM cable back in...It was the last one I had..:)

Thanks,
Eric