speedo angle drive clarification

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So you have a 5" case as the one on the right?
20140317_CaseCompare1.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just been out and checked mine and I have much more clearance than that, somewhere recently I have seen a right-angle drive with a knurled cable-end type fitting which stuck out enough to fit, I can only think it was on e-bay somewhere. Could you make an adaptor to extend the speedo thread out and an extended drive shaft?
Chris.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
When doing a google image search for "smiths angle drive " I see that some of them may have been fitted originally with an extension like I need. Now to see if I can find just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craig

VOC Member
you might consider machining the case to provide clearance for the later angle drives............just like Smiths did during the Vincent build times.
This case you have, I consider to be an early S.515..........later S.515 and S.576/L had this area machined out to accommodate later drives.
I am pretty sure this area is solid cast. disassemble and inspect.
Case2machine.jpg

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
So i ordered one of these:

spacer-thing was too long so i modified it in my lathe, lost the piece in garage land, had to fabricate a new one from scratch, and this is what i ended up with:

Looks better, but not as good as the machined case solution does...i think i'm going to do that eventually. The cable is a bit too long now so experimenting to find the least offensive routing.