speedo angle drive clarification

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
from the transmission end of a Jag
Thanks very much. I'll now move them from my Chronometric box to my Jag box... oh, wait, I don't have a Jag so I don't have a Jag box. Oh, well, I'll leave them where the are and my kids will eventually have to deal with them.

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
Ok just checked my purchase history. The one that I originally posted is from the instrument end if a jag, the one u posted should be from the transmission of an Austin/Mg/Triumph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mercurycrest

VOC Member
In 1980 I bought a 5 inch speedo with a right angle drive from the wonderful Doug Hollis and it came with the right angle drive Trevor identifies as from a Land Rover. I was under the impression it was from a Triumph Car.
Cheers, John

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I missed out on a Shadow clock for £10 at a North Kent section bring-and-buy evening in the 70's, when I was putting my B Rapide together. I picked up instead a new 5" clock for a Jag for £20 and used that !!
TEV140timingsideTTcarb.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
I see the PUCA smiths electronic 'cronometric' web site is being revised what price that the 5" electronic version will be released for Stafford show?

vibrac

VOC Member
Just found a cached copy of the PUCA web site the cheekey blighters even have a video of their 'ticking' version that gives the jerky movment of the clock work models!
You have to admit with a lead down an empty cable and some clever magnets its going to be as good as a halogen bulb in a Miller fluted headlamp glass.

craig

VOC Member
I found a couple pics with the "thread on" angle drive. appears the screw attached plate must be reversed from what you show.
IMG_1625crop.jpg

IMG_1625crop.jpg
IMG_5667crop.JPG

clevtrev

VOC Member
Here`s the Smiths Motor Accessories sheet giving the details of the Speedo and its relevant parts, dating from 1948.
Smiths5.jpg

usefulidiot

Non-VOC Member
i wish flipping the plate would do it. Unfortunately there still is not enough space. There is about 1/4'' max between the edge of the threads and the wall of the case. The requirement for the drive is something like 1/2''. I suppose i could locate another case or modify this one...hard to see in this photo but if you look close you can see where it fouls the case