• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Speedo Accuracy / Tyre Diameter

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Last night I rode over to Rick Schunk’s house to do some wheel/tyre research. We rolled his B Rap with 20” front for three front tyre revolutions and measured the distance, then did the same for my C Rap with 21” front. The 20” circumference was 78.5” and 25” diameter. The 21” was 83.5” and 26.6”. So, theoretically my speedo should read 94% of Rick’s. Now, the question is, how accurate is the standard tyre, various gearsets, and chronometric combo? A GPS could be used to check, but I am too thrifty for that. Maybe I’ll try calibrating my car speedo while in cruise control to milemarkers on the highway using a stopwatch and then getting one of my fine young sons to drive in cruise control at a true 60 mph,
while I pace him and observe what the Vin speedo is indicating. What will I do with this info? At best, know how much I really need to exaggerate how fast I was going while swapping tales of speed and daring.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?