Saturday, July 16, 2022 - 05:30 PM
Until: Saturday, July 16, 2022 - 07:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
G

Graham Smith

Had a great evening watching Speed is Expensive again. It’s changed quite a bit since the last time I saw it.

David Lancaster, Gerry Jenkinson, Russell Icke and Colin Manning must be congratulated on producing this excellent film, and I urge everyone to watch it if you get the opportunity.

There really is nothing like it.

8F50124D-D3D2-44B3-93BA-5551FC8A820B.jpeg
68E20F98-3A7D-472E-8C1F-0C198D4E231C.jpeg
3DC8AD3E-378A-4E4C-8731-F7A2BC6C364F.jpeg

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Real shame I was not able to be at the Premier this evening, I feel that I missed out on something that was really good, but having missed it, what are my options for viewing it sometime soon, will it be shown again anywhere after the 4th July.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
What an evening and seeing so many old faces shame about a DVD not being released yet as daughter Camita has asked me for one, the surprise was seeing my self in it talking with young Philip about his Grand-dad after his first stroke, regretting that I never revisited Mr Vincent but his wife made it clear that she didn't want me to visit again, I think it was embarrassment really for his condition as I took over wiping the dribbles off his chin as she was busy trying to lay the table and get a meal ready. Mr Vincent was more keen to continue his story of his new rotary engine knowing I was a ships engineer putting his explanations into my marine environment where he already had his new engine running in banked sets that could be clutched in and out of drives on a single propeller with controllable pitch so overhauling with main propulsions not being interrupted. His enthusiasm was exceptional. Daughter Dee was between nine and twelve during my visits to Kew Bridge apartments and then she was pointed out to me in 1989 at the FIM rally in Barcelona on the steps of the town hall so introduced my self and she realised I was the man bringing the stems of bananas to her father. SO you are the bananaman, pointing her finger at me, and that is why I have used it ever since. P.C.V has provided me with my life interest and entertainment and many friends.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Does anybody know where the film can be seen other than getting on a plane to England ? Is it perhaps going to be picked up by Netflix or similar?

Gerry Jenkinson

VOC Member
Does anybody know where the film can be seen other than getting on a plane to England ? Is it perhaps going to be picked up by Netflix or similar?
Unfortunately it is not yet available. The screening at Riverside was the result of entering it into Barnes Film Festival where it is a finalist.
As you say we are waiting for a distributor buy it.

Producers Gerry Jenkinson & David Lancaster

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Smith

The film Speed is Expensive won the Audience Award at the Barnes Film Festival a few days after its debut screening back in June.

For all those who weren't able to get tickets for the first showing, there's now a second chance to see it at the Hammersmith Riverside Studios, on Saturday July 16, at 5.30pm. There's a possible questions and answer session (still to be confirmed).

Tickets available at:

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 19.16.12.png

Chris.R

VOC Member
Surrey section went to the latest London showing I was surprised to find that Phil was so broke he was living in a council house when he died such a tragedy. I was also surprised to see moving film of Rollie Free having only seen stills before the film was followed by a Q & A session with David Lancaster and Charlie Boorman. This owner recommends the film and hopes it gets a wider showing there is a likelyhood that it will appear on a streaming platform and eventually a DVD.

Chris

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Real shame I was not able to be at the Premier this evening, I feel that I missed out on something that was really good, but having missed it, what are my options for viewing it sometime soon, will it be shown again anywhere after the 4th July.
Well we (Sue and myself) finally got to see the film on the second showing, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact we enjoyed the entire Hammersmith experience, we made a day of it, Embankment Blue Moon Pub, Sam's Riverside Restaurant, and The Riverside Studios, as someone else mentioned, I had never before seen the actual footage of the Rollie Free 150mph run, only the iconic still photograph, shouldn't someone in authority stopped him attempting that! thank goodness they didn't, what lunacy though, and courage. It was great seeing old faces, some no longer with us, memories of Furness and Searle etc. I understand there is a huge amount of unseen footage, enough for Speed is Expensive 2 perhaps.
A very enjoyable day.

Chris.R

VOC Member
As the showing has only been London based and well received I hope that the producers will keep in touch through this web page and MPH of developments making the film more widely accessible.

It was interesting to hear that neither Ewan McGregor or Charlie Boorman had ridden a Vincent something for the club to put right food for thought!!