Spax Shock Adjustment.

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a spax damper here that has a small screw jutting out of the base which I take is a damping adjustment. It has two notched positions, 12-6 and 9-3 o'clock. The screw goes around and around but there doesn't appear to be any difference in stiffness. Am I missing something?

Phelps.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
They must be getting old now ?, I have had one for years and you can feel the differance, When you hold it in your hand, Maybe not when it's on the bike, I run mine on the weakest setting. Cheers Bill.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
They must be getting old now ?, I have had one for years and you can feel the differance, When you hold it in your hand, Maybe not when it's on the bike, I run mine on the weakest setting. Cheers Bill.
But which is the weakest setting Bill? With the screw in or out?

Phelps.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Phelpsy, a SPAX damper nearly killed Pete Johnston some years ago. I believe it had no cushioning on full extension and spat him off a Grey Flash. There is a report somewhere in 40 Years On. Keep safe sport. Why not use an IKON?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Phelpsy, a SPAX damper nearly killed Pete Johnston some years ago. I believe it had no cushioning on full extension and spat him off a Grey Flash. There is a report somewhere in 40 Years On. Keep safe sport. Why not use an IKON?
I thought that there had been a problem with the Spax shocks in the past so thank you to Chankly Bore for confirming my memory.
The Spares Co do original shocks, Ikon shocks are available and I think perhaps they are made in Australia. There are also the AVO shocks made in the UK which I use, very good, easily adjustable damping and inexpensive.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I make it out for weak, I was going to warn you, Like Chankly says, But I think you knew , I have raced with it on my Black Flash !! and my L/ning rep, And now use it on the road on my Ex L/ning. I have also Broken the Standard ones !!. I just read a report from one of our blokes, A long time ago, Who told us not to use them, Then he went on to say his Springs were worn out etc !!. Cheers Bill.