Spark Plugs

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Which plugs are folks using on their Black Shadows , also my front Cylinder plug oils up a wee bit ,what is recommended for an plug for it. Yes next winters job is to check why it oil's.

Running a B.T.H and std carbs. I think I have had a few dud NGK plugs lately

Thanks
Peter

Henry Martini

Non-VOC Member
Hi Peter,
I assume the BTH is the new Digital type, I use a Pazon ignition system and use NGK Iridium BPR6EIX Plugs and like them.I now believe I have solved
the various electric starter problems that almost caused me to have a nervous breakdown and give up Vincent ownership.The problem lay in the idle
gear loosing it's teeth, I found out that the gear was made of "Sintered steel? whats that ? a little stronger than hard chocolate,problem now solved got
a EN36 gear cut. Sorted a few voltage problems out and fingers crossed I may now have a road usable 1330 Bike. Will I see you at the "Irish" this year?
Regards,
Henry

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Have you got jiggle wires in your inlet rocker feed bolts , it's a 20 thou wire in the 30 thou hole . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Sid ,I believe yes ,but I will check again when I replace the washer. ,what number would you go with on ND range for an oily cyl.
thanks

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
The jiggle wire will reduce the oil going down the inlet guide , very well might solve your oily cylinder problem . Very easy to fit , just remove the return pipe over the top of the head , takes but minutes . Then your plugs won't tend to foul . This ND rarely fouls out . Ck with a Dealer for a hotter one if needed . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Peter,
Re dud plugs see this info link:
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

My Rapide is running 7:1 pistons has run happily on genuine NGK 6 or 7 grade for 30,000 or so miles. (Your Shadow may have different a compression ratio pistons fitted.) The bores and pistons were new when I built the engines so although the plugs were never oily they did get some burnt on deposits from some oil getting past the valve guides. Last year I fitted oil seals to the valve guides and this has much reduced any burnt deposits on the plugs. Better (in my opinion) to have unrestricted oil flow to where it is needed for lubrication and isolate the oil from unwanted areas by better sealing.
The usual accepted advice if you have an oiling problem is to grade lower (e.g NGK 5) so that it runs hotter to try to "burn off" the oil. This only gets you going but is not a "fix" and will not restore lost performance.
Which plugs are folks using on their Black Shadows , also my front Cylinder plug oils up a wee bit ,what is recommended for an plug for it. Yes next winters job is to check why it oil's.

Running a B.T.H and std carbs. I think I have had a few dud NGK plugs lately

Thanks
Peter

greg brillus

VOC Member
Another trick is to use the extended tip plug such as a BP6 ES Which has the tip slightly out into the chamber where it can help burn off deposits. It does not stick out far enough to hit the piston crown......in fact it is miles from it, with the lower comp pistons used in road bikes.............Greg.