Spark plug gap gauge

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Correct. Hook the ground electrode and bend it by applying pressure to the plug body to open or close the gap. Not by forcing an object between the ground and center electrode. Doing so may apply a sideways force to the center electrode that may in turn damage the insulation surrounding it.

1571242568414.png
The tool can also be used to close the gap, but I admit I just as often tap the ground electrode against the anvil portion of my bench vice.
Steven

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have a stash of KLG FE70 spark plugs that I purchased years ago when they were readily available, they are far exceeding my expectations, seem to last forever, if they continue to function I do not replace them, I have cleaned, checked and adjusted them on numerous occasions, using my trusty feeler gauges I have never bent or damaged the centre electrode or the ceramic insulation. PS been doing it for 54 years.

Albervin

VOC Member
Better put my bike up for sale then, I will be sad to see it go, I have only owned for 54 years, and never had a KLG plug let me down yet.
Peter, it is amazing when we find out we have done it wrong for all of those decades and yet we survived. I am still surprised that I am still alive sometimes. Then again I spent several years without a seatbelt in my car, I rode a bicycle without wearing a helmet and I admit I did drink and ride. I still find my assortment of hammers (I have as many as I have bikes) indispensable.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Why would anyone wear a cycling helmet, I really can't see the point, it takes away all the excitement of an over the handle bars crash!

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 55

vibrac

VOC Member
Why would anyone wear a cycling helmet, I really can't see the point, it takes away all the excitement of an over the handle bars crash!
From what I have seen of the superanuated egg boxes the guys round here wear on rides they would do little to save a face forward crash. Not that I need an egg box I swore two things when I was 16 never ride a push bike again (I was raised on the Chiltern Hills and uncle had a push bike shop) and never wear short trousers again (De rigueur wear at infants school)