Spark plug gap gauge

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I lost my gap gauge recently and am trying to replace it. For my mag-sparked plugs, I need one with .018” wire probes (?) and all the new ones I can find are much bigger.

Any suggestions?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The electrode bending claw is needed, this is the type I had, but probably bought in the '70's.

41KGZ7E74GL.jpg

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
After looking on several auto sites I found the current crop of gauges start at 0.40". Those that start at less than that usually start at 0.20". The first two I found on evil bay start at 0.015" I couldn't see if they had 0.018" or skipped it. The last one is like one I bought off of evil bay a little while ago and I know it has a 0.018" blade. In the listing it even shows that particular blade.
Steven

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ok. I have never seen one of those. When I want to bend an electrode I use a small screw driver and gently bend the electrode upwards and then keep checking with the feeler gauge until if it is about right. If the gap is too large then I use a very small hammer to gently tap downwards.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Wow, Ducbsa on Triumphrat.net lost his gauge as well. Coincidence? I think not. There is serial gauge napper out there people. :eek: Lock up you spark plug gauges people or you could be next.o_O Or perhaps Bruce has found a replacement, Ducbsa posted his plight 40 minutes after Bruce posted his, Hmmmm. Now here is the most outlandish theory...........Ducbsa and Bruce are the same person and posted on two forums in a hope to possibly finding that which he seeks. Nah, that'd be really crazy.
Steven

1571238113739.png

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have to say, that device looks like a huge over complication to me, as Norman states a decent set of feeler gauges is all you really need, an 18 thou one is more than man enough to tease the gap open, and the side of the feeler gauge set good enough to tap the gap closed a little.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Well even the KLG feeler set has the little gap tool. It would seem plug manufactures think hooking the ground electrode and opening and closing by leveraging against the steel body is better than applying pressure to the center electrode and risking damage to the insulation. Just saying......
Steven

1571240411048.png