Spares company petrol tank

Panama

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding the petrol tank offered by the Spares Company? Is it equal to an original tank in terms of quality and fit?

I am doing battle against fuel tank leaks and minor rust with my Series C Rapide. I anticipate lining the tank with a product called Caswell, but it is not reversible. If problems develop later, I will probably have to invest in a new tank.

Advice and benefit of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Rod, Torrance California

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One would hope it is good for GBP800. You could ask them to fit it to a bike to confirm the lugs are right and the bracing piece at the back misses the spring cap, etc. The tanks from India seem to require remanufacturing. If you had the time, an Evan Wilcox tank might be an option. No risk of overseas shipping.

wld50

Non-VOC Member
So what happened next?

A friend needs a petrol tank for a C Comet build.

There are some on ebay from £125 to more than £600 from India - so of unknown quality and by several accounts may not be any good

I searched the VOC forum for "new petrol tank" and found this thread and specifically

"The Spares Co. have produced and sent a jig to India to assist in a more accurate fit, during manufacture"

This sounded like an excellent approach but that was in August 2010

Was there a positive outcome of the exercise by the Spares Co.?

Did it produce something with the required quality and fit?

Alternatively, has anyone bought and fitted the one from WelshScooterparts2009? Any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme...83?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43aa421d83

lyn

Comet Rider

VOC Member
I was chatting to Ian about this last week,

Unfortunately the progress is slow, one supplier seems to do a reasonable job, in that it fits the jig, but the fuel outlets where wrong. I beleive the words used are "work in progress"

Problems seem to range from oil filler hole in the wrong place by anything upto 1/4"

HTH
Neil

davidd

VOC Member
Rod,

I do not believe that you will be any happier with an new tank than you will with a nicely restored original tank. I would give the restorer permission to cut holes in the bottom, or both bottoms of the tank if necessary and I would blast the inside down to bare metal. Weld up or replace thin areas, pressure test and use. I would think that some of the California crew know where this work can be done.

Just as a point of interest, an owner brought me a new tank and asked if I could make it fit a Vincent as well as look correct. As someone who has made a steel Vincent tank for my racer, I thought, "How hard could it be?" After careful examination I determined that it could not be done. The shape was wrong and the fuel bungs were welded in at the wrong angle. However, I believe that the thickness of the metal was too thin and that the bottom of the tank was not shaped correctly. This will lead to fractures. The bottom of the stock tank is highly engineered to resist cracking. I would not take this engineering lightly. A split in a gas tank with a hot motor can spell almost instant disaster.

David

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I would much rather repair an original. A little rust is a minor issue. We have a guy here who does most of the local tanks. It's not rocket science. Strip it bare, purge it and wash the inside with hot soapy water. Take a torch and run over ALL the welded seams. If anything is cracked it will open up like a ----- well it will open up. Weld it shut! If there are no dents, no need to cut anything, but if there are significant dents, he cuts a piece out of the bottom, repairs the dents and welds the bottom back in again. A little hi build primer, a little sanding, a little paint and voila, a nice repaired old tank with no messy gonna give you a problem later sealant in it. Bare steel tank innards are the best, and if you need to leave it empty, a little methyl hydrate.

wld50

Non-VOC Member
I would much rather repair an original. A little rust is a minor issue. We have a guy here who does most of the local tanks. It's not rocket science. Strip it bare, purge it and wash the inside with hot soapy water. Take a torch and run over ALL the welded seams. If anything is cracked it will open up like a ----- well it will open up. Weld it shut! If there are no dents, no need to cut anything, but if there are significant dents, he cuts a piece out of the bottom, repairs the dents and welds the bottom back in again. A little hi build primer, a little sanding, a little paint and voila, a nice repaired old tank with no messy gonna give you a problem later sealant in it. Bare steel tank innards are the best, and if you need to leave it empty, a little methyl hydrate.

I'm sure he would be happy to repair an original. He's a VOC member so if anyone knows of one for sale...send me a private message