Spares Co G1 Kickstart Cover Question

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I never thought about the G68 going out into the cover... I have got my Egli build finished, but not registered, but have had it out on trade plates, and the gearchange is very stiff, and jerkey, so perhaps im up against the same problem... I can imagine that the least resistance in this dept, will give big "feel" problems on the change, as there is some serious leverage going on in this dept.... Will investigate later this winter... Pictures of bike here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagsinclair/

Super looking bike, but I'm puzzled by the position of the gear indicator - looks to be about 15 degrees too far anticlockwise ??

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Thanks,

Now thats nit picking!! :) Thats what happens with a four speed cover and a five speed internals.. Someone was discussing making a 5 speed cover... (Or perhaps i will just mark out the positions tig a big blob onto the cover, and remachine.... wil see....

Regards
Dag

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks,

Now thats nit picking!! :) Thats what happens with a four speed cover and a five speed internals.. Someone was discussing making a 5 speed cover... (Or perhaps i will just mark out the positions tig a big blob onto the cover, and remachine.... wil see....

Regards
Dag
Shouldn`t be any difference between the four and five speed total radial movement. The bevel gear is the same for both cases, and the radial movement is governed by the cutaway on it. ie. both the same.

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not too many problems with my new G1 cover

I knew I spoke too soon on this one-now that I have come to properly fit the G1 case, i have hit a snag- managed to ream out the kickstart shaft bushes OK and now can fit the case tight with a nice free K/S shaft, but no way with the gear lever.Oilite bush needed a lick with the reamer to get the change shaft in, but despite being a really sloppy fit over the G68 pin, it binds when case nipped up.After some investigation, I have realised that the G68 pin is well off centre in relation to the hole bored in G1 casing for the gearchange,- best I can measure its centre is about 12-15 thou southeast of the casing hole.G68 is not bent-annoyingly its so square to the G50 plate that its perfect.
Initially, i suspected the new spares Co. G1 cover to be badly machined, but a quick delve in my parts pile produced the old original G1, and offering that up produced the roughly same result.Hmm..... I suspect the G50 plate may have been drilled slightly off when the G68 pin was fitted in the factory,and thus perhaps selective fits used.Who is to say my G50 or G1 are the "pair" that left the factory together- probably unlikely after 60yrs and I can only think of making a slightly eccentric bush, carefully positioned in the case to sort it.... Anyone else found similar???? Bob.

I guess I was fairly lucky on my new G1/1 or perhaps the Spares Co. has changed vendors...? Only a minimum amount of "fettling" required with Dremel tool (see attached pic) to clear the G116 Kickstart Return Stop. Both bushings lined up with their respective shafts, gear indicator shaft alignment was fine and the counter-sinking of the screw holes was correct. G1Fettled.jpg

Mark

1660bob

VOC Member
Mark-hi, I was pondering that very area of my new g1 just yesterday.My upper kickstart stop fits in OK, and the casing sits down on G50 fine, but looking through the "filler" cap opening, I can see that the upper kickstart stop is all but touching the inside of the casing-as the new ones are much thicker all round. I assume its critical to have some space behind the kickstart stop to allow it to flex and absorb the impact of the quadrant as the kickstart returns.I was worried that with no gap here the impact will simply be taken by the casing itself and it could be damaged as the steel stop will be rendered almost useless by the thicker casing-Anyone with me on this one???

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On broken out kick start buffers . This was fairly common and my own Rapide did it within the first 300 miles from new .
Some covers were welded up with out the inner bits and I've seen several that sited a bolt head , the g50 plate drilled for the bolt in a workable position , which then served to stop the quadrants swing . This works well if the owner does not stomp the pedal all the way down and under which is totally unnecessary . If tuned properly the Vincent can be started by hand using the correct technique and flywheel placement with the decompressor wisely employed , when certainly a nice thrust with follow through does the trick . No stomping necessary . Sid.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Actually I wrote up the technique many years ago titled " Long rock , short rock , Easy starting your Vincent " . Maybe I'll repeat it for those interested were they to ask . Sid .

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mark-hi, I was pondering that very area of my new g1 just yesterday.My upper kickstart stop fits in OK, and the casing sits down on G50 fine, but looking through the "filler" cap opening, I can see that the upper kickstart stop is all but touching the inside of the casing-as the new ones are much thicker all round. I assume its critical to have some space behind the kickstart stop to allow it to flex and absorb the impact of the quadrant as the kickstart returns.I was worried that with no gap here the impact will simply be taken by the casing itself and it could be damaged as the steel stop will be rendered almost useless by the thicker casing-Anyone with me on this one???

Hi Bob,

You're right about the need for some clearance behind G116 for it to flex and do its job properly. I just checked on my Rapide with G1 off and kickstarter mounted and the quadrant allowed to strike G116 on the return stroke. It looked like G116 flexed out toward the cover wall by about 20 - 30 thou. I'm going to relieve my new G1 by about an additional 1/16" just to be safe. As you pointed out, the new castings are very thick in this area compared to the factory originals. Thanks for pointing out your concern regarding the return strike.

Mark

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
While we are talking about G1 covers, does anyone have a damaged one they would like to sell? I am going to use it on a special with electric start and hydraulic clutch, so the kickstart pinion area and the clutch actuating arm area can be damaged.

John Mead

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, If you ever pop over to UK, I might have the very thing !! I think it came out of a Race Car, From Africa in the 1960s, It has a big slave cylinder bolted on it, All Jammed up now, I have often thought about setting it up, Not sure it would work with a bike Master Cylinder, Cheers Bill.