Spare Co. Filters

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I got myself a pair of these. Has anyone used them and if so what adjustments did you find necessary?
Thanks

Albervin

VOC Member
Are these oil soaked? I like the idea of the logo on them. I have a pair of K & N filters and stuck a small VOC medallion on them to cover the K & N logo.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I didn't get any info with them so I' m not sure. They have an internal steel spiral to maintain their shape and push over the bell mouths and don't come with any oil on them so I've just bunged them on for the moment. I' m quite able to re jet carbs but was looking for actual experience with these filters.

greg brillus

VOC Member
If these are the foam air filters we are talking about.....You will find that any air filter WILL create drag of some sort, and so the mixture will richen. You may find you need to lean off the idle adjustment a bit, and possibly go smaller in main jet size. But you can only find this through experimenting around, and checking plug colour. MartynG did some exhaustive tests in this way with his new Amal Premium MK 1 concentric carb on his Comet, and has arrived at a good result. An engine that runs quite rich over most of its throttle range will generally benefit from a slide with a larger number, say a 3 1/2 to a 4. A jump from say a 3 to a 4 may be too large a change and result in a lean condition instantly recognizable by spitting back through the carb. It takes a little time, but alter things one at a time and check as you go via road testing.............Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Fitting them on some dell autos I found I had to add some strengthening rings from plastic sheet over the bell mouths but to be fair 34mm dell autos are a long way from the shape of an original amal

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Attaching an air cleaner to the bell mouth of any carb doesn't seem the way to go, having said that I don't have a good solution.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Went for a ride bike ran ok, may be slightly rich so I'll fiddle with the carbs a bit.