Spanners marked "Vincent"

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On Ebay and on some autojumble stalls one sees various spanners (wrenches) embossed "Vincent" on a diamond shaped background. Most of us know these are not from a Vincent tool kit but what is the origin of the tools? Can anyone enlighten me?:confused:

john998

VOC Member
Vincent spanners

Dear Len,
I was hanging back hoping for info on these spanners, but it looks as though the question has fallen on stony ground.
In my auto jumbling days several of the Vincent spanners passed over the stall. The only kind that I had where double ended ring variety.
Google has not provided any answers, but it would be interesting to know
more. Regards John.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It's just curiousity; There's a story that when the Factory wanted to rename itself to "Vincent Engineering Ltd." it was found that a Scottish firm already used that title so they became "Vincent Engineers (Stevenage) Ltd." Could it be that this Scottish firm made those tools? Whatever, the quality is not very good; the ring spanners being rather clumsy compared to King Dick, etc. I hope nobody is taken in assuming they come from a Vin tool kit-they do not.;)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Vincent spanners

These were made in an offshoot of The Clyde Forging Company, run by Vincent MacShuggle, named after the nearest (and dearest) solid object (apart from his mum) at his conception.

Morris8 Gaynor.........