SORN a vehicle when you don't have the documents to hand?

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At the moment I am not at home, and don't have my registration documents to hand. The bike's insurance has just expired, and I want to SORN it, so I don't have to renew the insurance. Why not? It's peak riding season !!! I'm laid up with a broken bone in my foot, and I'm on crutches.
So, is it possible to get the DVLA to SORN the bike, even tho' I have no documents in front of me?
Paul

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You can sorn a vehicle online:

Unfortunately you need either the V5C document reference number or the V11 tax renewal reference number. Without either of those it won't let you do it.

I suspect if you phoned them they will still require either of those numbers to ensure you have the right to sorn the vehicle otherwise you could just pick a reg and sorn it to get at the owner. At the moment the DVLA are running on a limited staff due to covid-19 so you may not even be able to talk to a person.

Simon

highbury731

VOC Member
Do I run a realistic risk of prosecution for no insurance, even tho' the bike is locked away and not in use?
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
You don't need to insure if you have it on private property my van has only been re insured after 4 months lockdown in my yard it's just your risk
Incidentally one of my bikes has only just been taxed and it was not sorned before ! because it had been off the road since before SORN came in. Of course if I had moved or altered it's details on the V5 to be sqeeky clean I would have to have SORNED it

vibrac

VOC Member
Another scenario (Its a tangled web)
The bike I had with no SORN (see above) had a V5 (I actually got a RED one issued after the BLUE ones were out of date because the DVLA lost a batch -still the bike had no SORN)
However I had another bike basket case for 30 years again before SORN in race trim and no V5. So again no SORN and no insurance. Now as it was together last year I found the registration record in Aylesbury took a picture of the basket case filled in the forms and got a V5 . In that case as soon as it was a legal entity although I was going to take it to bits I SORNED it otherwise I could/may then have been pinched. In fact I could as its made in 1948 without a need for an MOT have taxed it as a wreck!. When its finished I shall Tax it. In all bike cases I have insured it since it costs no more with Haggerty for me if a bike is storage or use
So the bike has a V5 so you have used it since the mid nineties you must Tax it or SORN it there may be dispensations with the lockdown act fast things are changing.