Something unexpected I found on a Vincent!

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I removed the magneto cover on my Rapide the other day to do a bit of maintenance and found something unexpected lying on top of the Magneto. I don't know how long it had been there but it would have been well-cooked as the day before I had done a 120 mile round trip from home in Hinckley to Wellesbourne Airfield cafe for breakfast and then onto Broadway in the Cotswolds. It had a wingspan of around 3 inches so I don't know how it managed to get onto the top of the magneto. Maybe it would not have been so surprising if I had found it on a Douglas.;)
Anyone else found something unusual nestled in an unexpected corner of their Vincent?

dragonfly.jpg

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 6

vibrac

VOC Member
Ron Kemp told me that when he was in the RAF he went on to one cylinder going to camp along six mile bottom he looked down ( as you do) and saw a pair of legs sticking out of his front carb! He shut the throttle and chopped the birds head off!
He was late back on duty

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Ed, your dragonfly looks like a Migrant Hawker, which is a common species but it's always worth checking. One chap found a dragonfly stuck under his windscreen wiper and showed to a friend who knew them, he identified it as a Vagrant Emperor which is a major rarity in this country, probably blown in from Africa. Cheers, Stu.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Ron Kemp told me that when he was in the RAF he went on to one cylinder going to camp along six mile bottom he looked down ( as you do) and saw a pair of legs sticking out of his front carb! He shut the throttle and chopped the birds head off!
He was late back on duty
Must have had a pretty strong slide return spring, bet it didn’t half make your right wrist ache on a long journey!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Ed, your dragonfly looks like a Migrant Hawker, which is a common species but it's always worth checking. One chap found a dragonfly stuck under his windscreen wiper and showed to a friend who knew them, he identified it as a Vagrant Emperor which is a major rarity in this country, probably blown in from Africa. Cheers, Stu.
I had a look on the Internet for your suggestion, Migrant Hawker and found some pictures. I think you are right. I'd left the remains of the dragonfly in the garage sitting on the lathe so I've taken a side view showing yellow marking the same as the ones on the Internet pictures. Who says you don't get variety in out thread topics? Add Entomology to the list. :)
dragonfly2.jpg

John Appleton

VOC Member
I had a look on the Internet for your suggestion, Migrant Hawker and found some pictures. I think you are right. I'd left the remains of the dragonfly in the garage sitting on the lathe so I've taken a side view showing yellow marking the same as the ones on the Internet pictures. Who says you don't get variety in out thread topics? Add Entomology to the list. :)
View attachment 37215
Not Vincent related (although I do own a couple), but while working on Duxford airfield I was asked to find out why the petrol bowser, used for filling the flying exhibits, emitted showers of sparks from the exhaust when running the pump, Found the culprit to be a decomposing rabbit inside the air filter UPSTREAM of the paper element, and no, I have no idea how it got in there.

vibrac

VOC Member
When her brothers cattle trough went low on water Angela went to look and the ball cock was held up with... cobwebs!

stu spalding

VOC Member
The thing to go by is wing venation, not as certain as a fingerprint but close. Cheers, Stu.