Solvent for Cleaning Tank

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just bought one of those handy-sized bench-top cleaning tanks that has a small electric motor driving an equally small pump to squirt the solvent through a nozzle at the greasy Vincent part.

Clearly, a highly volatile substance should not be used around what is presumably a sparky Chinese electric motor, but in my past experience, none of these modern "green" substances (like 'Jizer') are much good at cleaning mucky components anyway. Oh, for the super clean-days of "Trike" and REAL petrol....!

So does anyone have any recommendations as to a reasonably good (UK) solvent for this application? Or did I waste my money?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I have one of those wash baths, have never set it up (No Space) but I have recently redicovered JIZER, which does seem to be a very good degreaser, Halfords sell small cans so it might be worth trying on a few parts before commiting to a 25lt white elephant.
Jim

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hi Pete,

meet your local printshop owner who has a rotational 4 color printing machine like MANRoland or Heidelberger. they usually have a good stuff to clean their machines every time they have to change the color. as him for 1 litre ( or 2,113376 pints for you imperial minded guys) to try. they usually get the stuff in 50 litres (13,20865 imp. gallons ) canisters and by now this stuff is definitely cheaper than using diesel or petrol.
Best is the stuff smells beautiful as well, but I do not believe it is advisable to do that.

Bernie

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Speak to the guys in your local garage, the safety kleen guys round here sell the fluid "on the side" it is o-k unless you use castrol "r". If so go to the watchmakers and get their cast-offs. Watchmakers oil is also vegetable based.

John Cone

VOC Member
I agree Peter, i remember when trich became outlawed in the mid seventies in the RAF how quickly it disappeared but not back to the stores! I still have several containers of Borax on "Loan" and find it the best for hand washing. My POL stores are getting low but it has been 30yrs. I seem to remember that some of the old fire exstinguishers were good for degreasing brake and cltch linings.

Last edited: