G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) So I pulled to cover off my Comet transmission;

everiman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
And found some shrapnel that looked like it once was a cut off end of a rubber gas or oil line complete with the steel ferrule. So I figured some previous owner had accidentally dropped it in there. Reviewing "Know thy Beast" on Burman transmissions, I see that is the remains of something that was actually supposed to be there to cushion the return of the kick start gear. So now I am worried. Stevens suggests some fixes after the steel pin that was surrounded by the rubber and steel collar has loosened. Mine is still OK, so I would like to replace the rubber steel sleeve gizmo, and was wondering if there were any updated solutions. I was thinking of machining something out of softer metal eg ali or bronze to slip over the steel pin, or perhaps some kind of plastic, like nylon. Has anyone done this yet?
All suggestions appreciated.

shortun

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On my comet i cut a small section from a 3/8 fuel pipe and slipped that over the pin , being fuel resistant it should be okay as a bump stop for the kickstart. Quadrant .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Leave it out before it wrecks third gear.
Robin.
Hello Robin, I remember you saying about this before, Is it OK for the kick start to come back on just the steel pin, I will have to take the gearbox apart on this build I am doing. Cheers Bill.

craig

VOC Member
Kick start rubber for Burman, same as BSA

BurmanCometKSBumper.jpg

craig

VOC Member
another pic of steel wrapped rubber drum .

Without the steel encase, the rubber piece will be gone, off inside the case, in a couple of months.
You will be knocking the stop pin loose and needing repairs to the loose stop pin, and leak.

Burman-K-S-Bumper-side-E[2].jpg

Last edited: