Sneaking Back into Aircraft

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Big Ed just rapped my knuckles for going off topic on WWII planes..... which made me think that I know next to nothing about Vincent's own
aircraft engine project. I seem to remember it was a target drone engine and this is where the two-start pump came from. Who can add information
about this undertaking?

vibrac

VOC Member
I read the other day that originally the "chopped" engine was going to be across the fuselarge (like a Guzzi twin ) with the heads poping out each side that would have made the prop centerline in same plane as the crankshaft. and given better cooling
However the Biggles designers vetoed that, so the engine was swung round 90 deg and lots of bevel drives and gearing then had to follow.In the event however cooling was never an issue (not supprising since most of the time the picador's were in a suicide dive:rolleyes: thanks to the crap radio controls..)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Rip,
I hope you found the rap on the knuckles to be as gentle as it was intended.;-)
There have been a few drone related articles in MPH fairly recently. I recall accounts of the test flights of the drone was the subject of a short series. You could try searching the forum using picador etc. I had a quick try and came up with some threads. Unfortunately some of them had little relevant content as they wandered off topic too far.:( The engine for the drone project seems another example of Vincent doing a lot of development work and then getting no engine orders as the government dropped the project.
Big Ed just rapped my knuckles for going off topic on WWII planes..... which made me think that I know next to nothing about Vincent's own
aircraft engine project. I seem to remember it was a target drone engine and this is where the two-start pump came from. Who can add information
about this undertaking?

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Hell no Ed,
You were right and that's that. Phil Irving told me when he was at my place that they were trying to develop a life-boat engine with very high miles per gallon..... that was a new one on me!

vibrac

VOC Member
What amazed me when I saw the lifeboat engine running at Heaver some years ago was the amout of water that was poured into it while it was running before the steaming effluent came splashing back out!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
about this undertaking?
Picador-Display-Drive.jpg