F: Frame Snapped Rear Mudguard Strut

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The rear stand may be one cause of the breakage but not in my case. My bike is a D. I had the same break at the mount to the front of the RFM. At about 45 mph, it decided to let go and the mudguard dropped down, hit the tire and locked 'er up. I managed to guide the bike to the side of the road without dropping it, crossed up like a flat-tracker. I had to remove the guard just to roll the bike completely off the road. Fortunately, two guys behind me in a truck stopped to help. They were bikers and very impressed with the Vincent. We put the loose parts in their truck and they followed me home.

The guards are stainless. The rear guard had several cracks around the mounting hole and the stays were bent. I welded up the guard with stainless wire in the MIG, ground the welds flat but leaving extra thickness in that area and put things back together. So far, so good. Oh, and Loctite on the bolts.

I was lucky (skilled?) that time. I'll be giving this area special attention from now on.

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
you may be able to weld it, but it is cheaper and better to make yourself two new ones. I think the original material was 1/2" o.d. x roughly .031" wall thickness. I make mine from 1/2" o.d. x .062" wall thickness, bending them to lie in position before final fitting and painting.
I think I might try and make one as a replacement is £40. B&Q have 12mm mild steel tube, 1mm wall thickness.

For the holes on the mudguard, I've cut 1" square pieces of alloy sheet that will go on the inside so the bolts can grip.
I'll also reuse the FT152 steel strip.

Last edited: