Smoking twin

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Egli has been in lots of pieces for 10 years. The engine was running well when I took it apart to cure an oil leak in the frame (would you believe). The engine was in one piece for this time, and turned over fairly regularly. Before rebuilding I took off the outer covers for painting and new gaskets. I took the heads to Bob Dunn for exhaust threads and inlet guide seals. I've got a twin start pump, NO metering wires, and 20/50 oil. Valves, guides and bores look good.

On tickover the engine smokes quite badly, but not when the bike's moving. Soon after I stop, the smoking starts again.

The engine gets very hot after 4 miles, and I'm begining to suspect the ATD isn't advancing far enough, but it could be the ill fitting joint in the new Armour's stainless steel exhaust. I'll sort the heat problem, it's the smoke that bothers me.

I can only think oil is going down the guides or up past the rings, any suggestions before I take the engine apart.

H

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Could be an oil scavenge problem ? I would think that if the valve guides or seals were the issue it would smoke on the overun and when accelerating after closed throttle.

Howard

VOC Member
Could be an oil scavenge problem ? I would think that if the valve guides or seals were the issue it would smoke on the overun and when accelerating after closed throttle.

Plenty of oil returning to the oil tank.

Removed crankcase drain plug and very little oil drained out - about half a cup.

I'm wondering if the rings have lost their spring, they're not very old in terms of miles.

H

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Compression would suffer if the top rings were shot , oil control rings could be defective ? Also , may not be both cylinders at fault.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Howard,
What about trying metering wires on the ex' side.
The other thing is the oil,
My poor old Comet was doing the same thing this summer,Mind you, It like me is knackered, I thought I was going to have to spend money on it,!!
Any way I have been useing 10/40 oil in it because I am Lazy.
So I had to move the garage about to find my single grade 40 oil = Much better.

Any chance of sending me a nice big photo of the egli ,It's been a long time since Racing. billthomas@lightning.fsworld.co.uk

Good luck with the Bike Bill

Howard

VOC Member
Hello Howard,
What about trying metering wires on the ex' side.
The other thing is the oil,
My poor old Comet was doing the same thing this summer,Mind you, It like me is knackered, I thought I was going to have to spend money on it,!!
Any way I have been useing 10/40 oil in it because I am Lazy.
So I had to move the garage about to find my single grade 40 oil = Much better.

Any chance of sending me a nice big photo of the egli ,It's been a long time since Racing. billthomas@lightning.fsworld.co.uk

Good luck with the Bike Bill

Bill

I never like using metering wires if I can help it, there never seems enough oil to all those rattly things lower down.

Oil could be a factor, it hasn't got up to temperature yet, and 20/50 could be a bit thin when cool. I haven't done more than a 4 mile run on it yet, lots of adjustments needed, I need to take it for MoT, and work/family take up too much spare time.

I'll send a photo from home later. It's not as you remember it - I decided to build it like a 70s Shadow colour scheme this time, done metalic silver, green and purple tank and nickel and red frame so I've been a bit more conservative.

Regards

Howard

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
You really need to do a long journey on it to really see how the engine is running. Try and get someone to follow you to observe when it smokes.

Howard

VOC Member
You really need to do a long journey on it to really see how the engine is running. Try and get someone to follow you to observe when it smokes.

You're probably right. I've just had a bad month for bike time, and with Winter fast approaching I was hoping for a short cut.

H