Misc: Everything Else Smiths Speedo Drive

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gene, the 2 outer ones look like the ones used on the pre war series "A" bikes.......Check the rotation too as this could be 50% wrong. Clockwise in and clockwise out.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gene, the 2 outer ones look like the ones used on the pre war series "A" bikes.......Check the rotation too as this could be 50% wrong. Clockwise in and clockwise out.
I have only ever seen the short speedo gearbox used on series A machines and looking at the collection of A photos I have I cannot see any with a long one fitted. My A Comet has a short one fitted and it aligns up with the speedo perfectly.
The long gearbox was used on series D to clear the front mudguard bodywork, but other bike manufacturers used them as well.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Simon, You may be right there....... I was thinking of the new ones Neal and Rodney made, but they use alloy brake plates that are thicker than the standard pressed steel ones.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Gene, you are using Smith's fat alloy backing plates are you not? You should ask DS if you need to use a longer drive. Also check the ratio some are 1 to 1 some are 1 to 2.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
One point five to one with C.W.I. & C.W.O. I managed to find an ex government surplus one in green long threaded drive in, but the wrong way rotation so put a hole in the L.H. plate drilled tapped the security holes and turned the wheel round and it's been like that for over twenty years now, another non standard item on my bike.
bananaman.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Was that all 'Ds" or just the enclosed models?
I imagine the open D`s were the same as C`s, but the enclosed bike had the longer thread, but on the other side of the body, with opposite hand gear cut. This to enable the run of the cable to go under the handlebar cowl.
The longer ones in the picture above might be BSA ones, but opposite rotation, so of no use on B and C Vins. The body otherwise conforms to all dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
A, B, C and open D

Attachments

• 20210130_192208.jpg
    20210130_192208.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 25