Misc: Speedometers Smiths Chronometric Speedometer

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
the bracket that attaches to the girdraulic forks, held on with two 5/16BSF part number 505 and the speedo attaches to the bracket. Those three screws that screw in from the front, through the bracket, into the back side of the speedo housing ..... Thanks !!
Michael Vane Hunt has already given you the answer. Post 24.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
If anybody's interested in making their own M2 x .45 screws, Tracy tools list taps and dies. I have one of their taps for cleaning out damaged threads.

oexing

VOC Member
Standard M 2 thread is 0.40 pitch, M 2.2 would be 0.45 pitch, same as M 2.5 . Are you sure the screws are "specials" ?? Seems M 2.2 is not used widely , just in old files mentioned.

Vic

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
<<SNIP>>. The name chronometric gives it away. The only imperial part is the calibration for miles and MPH.

Cheers,
Simon.
I don't think the name Chronometric is because it is built using metric dimensions and fasteners (which it is) but because it measures (meters) something - namely time (chronos). They are a diabolically complicated clockworks that calculates and converts the time for a number of cable revolutions (which correspond to distance) and display the results (speed/velocity) with a moving needle.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
chronometrics more data

Many thanks Tom, For those who don't want to trawl through their back issues of VMCC mag, the articles are in Feb, March, April and June 2009. I have also scanned these and assuming its OK to do so would happily email a copy to who ever wants one.[biker.bernard@tesco.net]

These is also a useful article on chronometric repair at:

http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical data/Jaeger Instruments/Jaeger Chronometric Overhaul.pdf

Bernard
Bernard, Would you please send your scanned Chronometric docs to jsulliva@sbcglobal.net. I have emailed several times and my emails bounce every time. Thank you. John

Alyson

VOC Member
Michael Vane Hunt has already given you the answer. Post 24.
well there's always one more thing.... so I ordered the G99 1/4"W x 3/4" screws, the drilled ones for the G2 plate, as those should have been what I was looking for. In the end, the correct threads are whatever the hole has been tapped to. In my case, the G99 screws did not work, only threading in about 1/2 turn. I didn't force it and figured I now have three spare screws in case I need them. Off to my vintage BMW hoard, lost after my move but found, and voila (as the French say) metric it is. As my case is an early version, albeit I'm not certain that makes a difference, could be some were metric ? Maybe after 50/60/70 years, it was easier to change the thread in some of these ? Anyways, I wasn't going to do that. If metric fits, that's what I'll use. BMW is known for quality hardware afterall, so all's well that ends well. Alyson

clevtrev

VOC Member
well there's always one more thing.... so I ordered the G99 1/4"W x 3/4" screws, the drilled ones for the G2 plate, as those should have been what I was looking for. In the end, the correct threads are whatever the hole has been tapped to. In my case, the G99 screws did not work, only threading in about 1/2 turn. I didn't force it and figured I now have three spare screws in case I need them. Off to my vintage BMW hoard, lost after my move but found, and voila (as the French say) metric it is. As my case is an early version, albeit I'm not certain that makes a difference, could be some were metric ? Maybe after 50/60/70 years, it was easier to change the thread in some of these ? Anyways, I wasn't going to do that. If metric fits, that's what I'll use. BMW is known for quality hardware afterall, so all's well that ends well. Alyson
Probably 6mm, if so 0BA will fit.