Misc: Speedometers Smiths Chronometric Speedometer

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Burman gearbox studs

The KTB "discussion" was corrected in the fourth edition (2003), following correspondence with Robin Blackwell; but what's wrong with the diagram?

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Burman Stud - KTB

The discussion and diagram in KTB (1989 edition) on the studs is wrong in this respect and does not mention the larger diameter dowel. Note that originally the securing nuts were BSW threads but are best changed to BSF.

Vic

It's correct at 21/64" in the Fourth Edition of KTB (2003). And if anyone is interested, each end of this "dowel stud" is still 5/16" diameter to take the 5/16 BSW threads.

I agree entirely with Vic that all the studs would be much better if they were made BSF at the outer end.

Peter Barker
Bristol, UK

Alyson

VOC Member
just wondering what the correct screw pitch is for the 5" speedo... the three mounting screws that secure the body to the bracket. Thanks !! Alyson

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Note also, plain and spring washers used. This seems to have been a policy where otherwise a spring washer alone would dig in to an alloy component. Not shown in the Spares List, but quantity increased by three in the numerical listing of nuts, screws and miscellaneous parts for the Shadow. For memory the other seven are in the G2 cover plate.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have a 3" Smith chronometric speedo with a rather poor condition dial and by a stroke of luck I happen to have a brand new replacement dial, however only one of the 4 fixing screws is present, and I am struggling to identify what the screws are, they measure 0.077" OD and are 56 tpi of near abouts which doesn’t relate to any thread standard I know, and ideas what they are and more importantly, where can I get some ?
The screws for attaching the dial to the frame are M2 x .45 pitch.

clevtrev

VOC Member
just wondering what the correct screw pitch is for the 5" speedo... the three mounting screws that secure the body to the bracket. Thanks !! Alyson
That depends which bracket you are talking about. The bracket that sits on the handlebars or the bracket that is the frame of the speedometer ?

Alyson

VOC Member
That depends which bracket you are talking about. The bracket that sits on the handlebars or the bracket that is the frame of the speedometer ?
the bracket that attaches to the girdraulic forks, held on with two 5/16BSF part number 505 and the speedo attaches to the bracket. Those three screws that screw in from the front, through the bracket, into the back side of the speedo housing ..... Thanks !!

C.Flint

Forum User
VOC Member
the bracket that attaches to the girdraulic forks, held on with two 5/16BSF part number 505 and the speedo attaches to the bracket. Those three screws that screw in from the front, through the bracket, into the back side of the speedo housing ..... Thanks !!
Alyson, Here is a photo from Mike T when he answered my question about the same for the 5” clock now installed on my Series B Rapide. Head measurement (flat diameter) is 3/8” and 20 TPI.

Attachments

• 275F5BB1-45D7-4968-A2AE-DE3D39C8596B.jpeg
    275F5BB1-45D7-4968-A2AE-DE3D39C8596B.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 19