Slipping out of second gear

Tootall Paul

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
My 1950 twin slips out of second gear. The chap I bought it off said he'd filed something down slightly to get over this problem. Does anybody know which part he could be talking about ? Or has anybody any other ideas that could be causing this.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In the Riders Handbook there is a detailed description on setting up the gear selector mechanism. It is fairly easy to do, but you must follow the instructions to the word.
Setting up the selector mechanism properly will likely cure the problem.

Glen

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Make sure the E80 nuts on the battery tray tube are adjusted right.

This demonstrates the absolute superiority of the Vincent. No other motorcycle has that feature!

vibrac

VOC Member
Blasting round Jurby at last years Manx I had 2nd gear jump out every time I went up the box but never when I went down even with a corner looming ahead and the brakes fading.
Everything looks OK on the mechanism but this year is a fallow one for the twin so it will have to wait I must say I have never encountered this one sided change failure before

Howard

VOC Member
Blasting round Jurby at last years Manx I had 2nd gear jump out every time I went up the box but never when I went down even with a corner looming ahead and the brakes fading.
Everything looks OK on the mechanism but this year is a fallow one for the twin so it will have to wait I must say I have never encountered this one sided change failure before

Last year at Mallory 1000 bikes I missed 3rd every time changing up (only ever up) at Devil's Elbow. Never misses a gear on the road - I put that one down to "operator error". The beauty of a classic bike, not found on souless modern bikes that never miss. :)

H

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Guys, guys. Lets have a look at this logically. Is it slipping out of gear because the gear is not selected correctly or is it slipping out of gear after it is selected correctly? To test the former, after selecting the problem gear, before letting the clutch out, reach down and feel with the gear indicator that it is indeed notched correctly into place. If its not then this can be a case of fine adjustment of the change mechanism but it can also be a case of wear and even a case of the G43 ratchet needing a small amount of metal either added or removed from the offending tooth. With the latter then the problem will be inside the box. The detent spring is either broken or sagged or the engagement dogs of the offending gears are badly worn and rounded. Phelps.

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Phelps, no argument with your comments, but I suspect Paul is a complete Vincent virgin, and the more usual reply of "get down to your local VOC section and talk it through" is more applicable.

H

Tootall Paul

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Phelps. I will have have a look this weekend now i know what part im looking for (G43). Howard i think i may have raced against you on my Norvin :)

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Paul

I don't recognise your name, but then I'm terrible on names. I may recognise the back of your Norvin from what I remember of my racing days. :)

H

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'm just saying it doesnt take long to pop the gear cover off and go thru the selector setup sequence. As a beginner with Vincents I tried this some years ago with the new to me Oz Rapide. That bike was nearly unrideable because of the gear selctor maladjustment. It routinely fell out of second gear and missed shifts. After a quick run thru of the Riders Handbook instructions, shifting problems went away. 30,000 miles later it still shifts properly and stays in gear.
To my way of thinking it is the starting point, like adjusting points to correct gap or checking tire pressure.

Glen