Slipping out of second gear

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To my way of thinking it is the starting point, like adjusting points to correct gap or checking tire pressure.

Glen[/QUOTE]

And it's cheaper than setting to with a file on the wrong part.

H

jim burgess

VOC Member
Thanks Phelps. I will have have a look this weekend now i know what part im looking for (G43). Howard i think i may have raced against you on my Norvin :)

Hi Paul,
there is available a set of "Instruction Sheets" from the VOC Spares Company, but I guess if you have run a Norvin you may have a set already? These mention filing the ractchet, personally I am not convinced it is a solution. My Norvin was prone to jumping out of all its gears if it had the mind to, usually under hard load. Sometimes to be a cus when just cruising along in top. The "cure" has been a replacement camplate, but I got lucky here and found a good one second hand form a section member. The adjustment procedure is critical and fully detailed in Paul Richardsons book. Best advice is to join the club and get to section meetings where the fellow club members will have great fun telling you a dozen ways of fixing it. If you are lucky you may even find a member willing to lend you parts so that you can work thru them all until you isolate the offending article/s. This was the way Len Mathews helped me find a set of parts that would actually allow the box to go into the cases. True! Go in! Great bikes, great fun.
Oh we have a Norvin section now and if I am good they sometimes talk to me nicely...
Cheers
Jim Burgess (Norvin section organiser)
PS how about telling us all something about the real bike? The Norvin I mean of course.

Tootall Paul

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Jim

Thanks for your ideas, I have joined the club but cannot get it to register on this site? I'm just on with rebuilding the Norvin at the moment, ill try and send you some pics.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Paul, my 1952 shadow consistantly kept flying out of second undfer acceleration...very annoying. After enless fddling with the gearchange mechanism, all to no avail I had to dig deeper. The dogs were a bit worn on second but the culprit turned out to be the camplate so I fitted a new one from coventry spares (which probably came from the club) and it has been fine ever since. The new one is quite a tight fit but soon beds down.
hope that helps.
mark

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hi Paul,
there is available a set of "Instruction Sheets" from the VOC Spares Company, but I guess if you have run a Norvin you may have a set already? These mention filing the ractchet, personally I am not convinced it is a solution. My Norvin was prone to jumping out of all its gears if it had the mind to, usually under hard load. Sometimes to be a cus when just cruising along in top. The "cure" has been a replacement camplate, but I got lucky here and found a good one second hand form a section member. The adjustment procedure is critical and fully detailed in Paul Richardsons book. Best advice is to join the club and get to section meetings where the fellow club members will have great fun telling you a dozen ways of fixing it. If you are lucky you may even find a member willing to lend you parts so that you can work thru them all until you isolate the offending article/s. This was the way Len Mathews helped me find a set of parts that would actually allow the box to go into the cases. True! Go in! Great bikes, great fun.
Oh we have a Norvin section now and if I am good they sometimes talk to me nicely...
Cheers
Jim Burgess (Norvin section organiser)
PS how about telling us all something about the real bike? The Norvin I mean of course.

Jim, I had endless problem with a Twin that persistantly over-selected 2nd gear and only when reading through the Works Instruction Sheets did I find the answer. That was to file the Ratchet (G43) as recommended. Fortunately, this item is quite soft so it was an easy job. Phew! What a relief, the exhaust system can stay on at last!

Tootall Paul

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
1CAE9E28-E983-49C4-BD34-3498D6B80872-7288-000010A31107A9C6.jpg

Here you go Jim

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The brakes look like those sold by Don Pender, known as "Madass" on the Norton forum.. He is located in the Phillipines. His brake is a copy of the Yamaha TZ 750 brake.
One of our club members fitted an actual TZ front brake to his Vincent, which he raced at Westwood. He told me that it was a great brake in the dry but filled up with water in the rain and became completely ineffective. Hopefully the repop version doesn't have the same problem.

Glen