Slipping clutch

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks. I've now stripped down the clutch, and the shoes have some oil on them (on inside of drum), and also the floating primary clutch disc -the inserts are word almost to the metal on the one side. Two further questions. The cheesehead screws holding the brake drum on are very tight - can you use an impact driver on these, or will this crack the drum? Also, what's the most likely source of the oil leak - I'd prefer not to disturb the drum if it's likely to be coming along the splines? I note that the oil was all on the inside of the drum, not the outside.
Thanks

ossie

VOC Member
i use a screwdriver that has a hexagon on that takes a spanner.
i also ground the flats so that it is a very good fit in the screw head.
there is a small taper at the end of the screw it might be locked up on this.
you need to put the bike in gear and put something through the spokes to stop the drum revolving.
i use a hammer shaft so that i dont damage the paint work to much.
i also put silacon sealer on the splines to stop the oil entering the drum.
best cure for my oily clutch i ever found

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
oily clutch

Hi, the oil it is most probably coming down the splined shaft.
two cures you can try are as follow

1 the norman walker mod,

2 get your self an o ring that fits into the recess of the clutch carrier but is thicker than the depth of the recess[ it has to protrude slightly above the face
of the clutch shoe carrier.

next manufacture a distance piece that has the same external dia as the internal bore of the O ring the internal bore being the same as the splined shaft, and the thicknes being the same as the depth of the recces. The o ring and distance piece fit over the splined shaft and sit in the reccess . the nut tightens down on to the distance piece trapping the o ring in the reccess thus sealing of the splined shaft, this is cheap and easy to do, and does away with that horrible bodge of clagging up the shaft with jointing compound.
cheers stumpy lord

Last edited:

vince998

VOC Member
For newer members the oil problem is completely solvable with the use of an 'o' ring and a slight mod at the inboard end of the shoe carrier. See this discussed in earlier postings.

Works at the outboard end as well.
Press a brass ring into the seal recess on the clutch carrier. (good press fit so as to be oil tight)
Face orf flush with the carrier boss. (make sure the hole in the middle is a nice sliding fit over the clutch shaft threads).
Turn a recess into the clutch nut to accept the o ring of your fancy (some like em thick, some like em thin)
Problem solved.
Alternatively, make sure the clutch carrier is running true on the clutch shaft and the inboard face is a flush fit against the spacer that runs in the cover seal as intended.
Do the nut up well and tight (with standard seal fitted).
If this is done correctly, the only oil finding its way along the splines must come through the gearbox cover bearing. (and this doesn´t normally happen.)

timetraveller

VOC Member
I still think that it is better to stop the oil getting in to the splines rather than getting out of them but we each have to do what we have the facilities for. Good luck with it whatever you do.

Bracker1

VOC Member
If you've taken it down this far, replace PD25 in primary cover and double check that pd24 has the scroll in the proper direction. Its a small job to change out the seal when the clutch is this far apart. There was talk in one of the old MPH 's (can't remember which) that the scroll on some of the bushes was manufactered in the direction of rotation forcing the oil into the clutch . Splines are another source of the oil, but easier to fix Cheers, Dan