Slipping clutch

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The clutch on my Shadow has started to slip, and now slips when trying to kickstart. All seems adjusted ok. Does that mean it's the single plate pilot clutch that's slipping - what's it likely to be?

timetraveller

VOC Member
For it to slip when kicking over either the pilot clutch is swimming in oil or the cable or pushrod are not giving enough clearance.

ossie

VOC Member
take off the vincent.hrd cap by the kickstart and check there is a bit of play between the cable arm and the casting.
if not the plates will be holding apart so slacken screw on same casting to get some.
otherwise its probably oil on the plates.
its a big learnig curve to get it right if its oil getting to it.
seals and silicones?

Ducvelo

VOC Member
So does slackening the adjuster screw in the gearbox increase freeplay on plates or decrease. So with slip, should I try slackening or tightening? It's difficult to work out exactly how this adjuster works.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Unscrewing it gives more play. It acts as a fulcrum against which the lever pivots. But there is also an adjuster in the middle of the outer primary clutch plate and if this is screwed in too far then adjusting the kick starter end will not cure the problem. Do what ossie says above. Unscrew the cap and you should be able to feel a small amount of play at the top of the lever where the cable nipple is hooked in. No play, no clutch!

Alan J

VOC Member
The "twin" clutch is a black art!! I had to "stagger off" a German Autobhann years ago and try to get the oil off before I could get any forward motion!! Happy memories!!

Bracker1

VOC Member
It's worth popping the clutch cover off. I had a new lightening type primary disc, ferado, disintegrate after only about 2000 miles. Replaced it with the newer style that has the compound bonded to the metal . Now if only could get the engine to run again. Cheers, Dan

timetraveller

VOC Member
For newer members the oil problem is completely solvable with the use of an 'o' ring and a slight mod at the inboard end of the shoe carrier. See this discussed in earlier postings.