Slight rattle from the front end annoying

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
rattle

I am unable to give an optimum clearance between the chain and the oiler, if you can make the chain touch the oiler with your finger then the chances are that it will touch in use and make the noise you describe, it will be more noticable on acceleration or overun, you could remove it and look for witness marks, then leave it off and go for a short ride, at least it will eliminate that possibility. I would leave it off anyway as it is not the best way to lubricate your rear chain, the oil normally finds its way onto the tyre eventually and can give you a bit of a scare when cranked over.
Regards Peter Holmes PS as you are in GX look me up, I am only in Bourne End 01628 528433

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Stuart
Nice to read that you are using a proper bike instead of the usa machine.
The Vincent should be proving that it is a lot of fun and big Grins just like after your test ride on the Duke?
best regards Peter
Hi Peter,

How are you - good seeing you at Brooklands.

I did 225 miles today - great stuff!! Running in nicely, I think I would like the brakes to work a little better before the running in is finished and she goes much faster..

I'm at Mallory for Festival of 1000 Bikes next weekend - are you going?

Stuart

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I am unable to give an optimum clearance between the chain and the oiler, if you can make the chain touch the oiler with your finger then the chances are that it will touch in use and make the noise you describe, it will be more noticable on acceleration or overun, you could remove it and look for witness marks, then leave it off and go for a short ride, at least it will eliminate that possibility. I would leave it off anyway as it is not the best way to lubricate your rear chain, the oil normally finds its way onto the tyre eventually and can give you a bit of a scare when cranked over.
Regards Peter Holmes PS as you are in GX look me up, I am only in Bourne End 01628 528433
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right and I could usefully swap the breather for a blanking plug.

The engine breather is putting a good spray onto the underside and the RFM, as the engine is just running in I have been told that the timed breather will do this until the engine beds down nicely.

I have seen a few bikes with a lovely assmbly of stainless pipes running down the RFM on the left hand side with slash cut ends - and there is a photo of these on the bike in Know Thy Beast - I wonder if one of the parts suppliers does a kit for this?

Do you go to West London Section nights at all?

I normally go for a run on either Saturday's or Sunday morning if ever you fancy - out towards Wallingford via Henley and Reading usually and then back over the hill and back to Marlow.

Cheers

Stuart

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I think you may be right and I could usefully swap the breather for a blanking plug.

The engine breather is putting a good spray onto the underside and the RFM, as the engine is just running in I have been told that the timed breather will do this until the engine beds down nicely.

I have seen a few bikes with a lovely assmbly of stainless pipes running down the RFM on the left hand side with slash cut ends - and there is a photo of these on the bike in Know Thy Beast - I wonder if one of the parts suppliers does a kit for this?

Do you go to West London Section nights at all?

I normally go for a run on either Saturday's or Sunday morning if ever you fancy - out towards Wallingford via Henley and Reading usually and then back over the hill and back to Marlow.

Cheers

Stuart
I do not think you will find those Know Thy Beast breathers anywhere, they are custom made by Eddie Stevens, although not so pretty Ron Kemp at Vin-Parts sells the well proven elephant trunk breather. I am always up for a ride out that way, in fact I need to go out to M+P at Dorchester which would fit in nicely, give us a call to arrange
Regards Peter

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I do not think you will find those Know Thy Beast breathers anywhere, they are custom made by Eddie Stevens, although not so pretty Ron Kemp at Vin-Parts sells the well proven elephant trunk breather. I am always up for a ride out that way, in fact I need to go out to M+P at Dorchester which would fit in nicely, give us a call to arrange
Regards Peter
Hi Peter,

M&P is right next to my pitstop at Foxes Diner.

Won't be next weekend as I am at Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory with the Vincent - I'll give you a call the week after.

Cheers

Stuart