Sir Mark Goodson in OZ

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill's B Rapide had a suspect magneto so there were a lot of "run and bump" starts. Once on the move it was no problem. It now sits in my shed after I purchased it from Bill in 1999. He fitted a new magneto before selling it, thank goodness.

vibrac

VOC Member
Running a 7R to work for a year got me in trim for bump starts mind you I knew where all the petrol stations on hills were.And where to wait for cars to follow home after it got dark.

Albervin

VOC Member
I wish I could ride like Bill, I love the way he starts "side saddle", I have no balance, And would land up in a big Heap !!. Cheers Bill.
Bill, I tried to practice the "run and bump" and it did not go well. Shortly after the rules changed to clutch start and I have been forever grateful . Bill Forbes started racing in 1949 so perfected the manoeuvre before I was born. His last race was in 1999. That is why he has been enrolled on the Riders" Roll of Honour. I was so happy to buy that B Rapide despite Bill's dodgy mechanics. It is an absolute delight and continues to tour as designed by PCV and PEI.

vibrac

VOC Member
Never understood how pre 1960 bike races droped bump starts. They were a great spectical and a theater lost. The silence on the line the shuffling of boots as you tried to get a good footing the worry in my case if you had got it back on the rear cylinders compression. The scattered starting of the engines building into a roar as the grid got away.
I saw Mr Dunlop take the recreation of McIntyre 100 mph lap at least he tried to bump start ungainly straddle that it was. but watch Mr Hailwood
poetry in motion, a few powerfull steps, clutch drops in concert with maximum weight on back wheel, note how he guns it side saddle left foot already on left footrest then lifts over and right foot comes down to footrest and change to second all in one motion ..magic

vibrac

VOC Member
Even worse in the noise before engine off before start, trying to listen and feel the back cylinder. Snetterton start grid was the worse it took me 11 steps up hill to get Vincent going. Mind you in production class BEMSEE soon caught up down the old nowich straight 10 years difference in age but nothing could touch the Vinny down there .corners were a different proposition wish I knew then what I know now about suspension.

Albervin

VOC Member
Then there was the Le Mans start. All went to water after electric starts. I remember a race where riders would put the right foot on the kickstarter at the same time they pressed the stater; in first gear with clutch in. always away first..