Single vehicle approval

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From another forum:
"Norton are making a handful of Domiracers specifically for track day use, but can be made road legal at cost. They're not compatible as road legal production machines but can pass single vehicle approval (SVA) tests if individuals want their bike to be road legal. "

Can this Single Vehicle Approval realistically be used in the UK for an Egli with a 2014 frame?

Black Flash

VOC Member
hello Bruce,
as England is part of the EU now ( yes I know you don't want it and you don't believe it as well) I cannot see how this is going to happen. Strictly speaking, there should be the same rules all over Europe now when it comes to registration of new vehicles.
In europe the hallmark for motorcycles is the frame number and the registration date according to it.
You have a 2014 frame, forget about id as the old engine will never meet the new emission laws and the testing alone can easily set you back with 4000 €.

have a 2014 frame and a known unused number from a scrapped bike, you can cheat ( which is not advised, but happens very often) and you are lucky and have a registration.

how domiracers should meet these legislations are a miracle for me. Mind you there is Patrick Godet building new Eglis with the help of Fritz, who seems to have built much more frames than we ever knew about (;) ) and therefore gets them registered.

Maybe the new domiracers somehow have old unused but numbered headstocks that were lying around for decades.

Bernd

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not sure about not passing the emission laws A quick glance at section 19 of the pdf SVA rules for motorcycle section 19 first page has the words :

"This examination applies to all vehicles fitted with a spark ignition engine except;
vehicles fitted with rotary engines
vehicles fitted with engines manufactured before 1 January 1993 "

If you have a year or so to read the bumf (10 pages on mirrors!) it might well repay you

after all the spares company new vincent got through....

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
It is quite possible to gain s v a approval. If you have a certificate of newess for the chassis, and a pile of bills/invoices. All major comonents to be new, last one I did was on a caterham car. From memory I was allowed no more than 6 used parts. Be aware, as the test is carried out at your local v o s a testing station (the same one for h g v's) they are pedantic enough to drive you mad!

highbury731

VOC Member
[quote="
Maybe the new domiracers somehow have old unused but numbered headstocks that were lying around for decades.

Bernd[/quote]

It may be of interest that featherbeds were stamped on the left rear fork pivot plate, not the headstock