Single Pull Throttle Adjustment?

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've had a twin-pull twistgrip on my Rapide for the last 40-odd years. The all-important adjusting/synchronising the carb-slides for simultaneous lift-off has always been so easy with the 2 adjusters in the cables below the twist grip. :)

I am now finishing-off my '50 Shadow restoration and want to use the standard single-pull set-up. Yes, there is an adjuster near the twist-grip on new cables, but there are none on the 2 short cables between junction-box and carbs (std type 29s). What's more, there are no adjusters screwed into the carb tops because there is no female thread in them - just plain bores. :(

So my question is, how does one adjust for equal lift-off of the slides on this std set-up? :confused:

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Peter, Most single pull set ups i've set up have the other adjuster in the cable for the rear carb. This way, you use the adjuster near the twist grip to adjust the front carb, and then use the other for the rear....this with the adjuster somewhere near the front cylinder oil return pipe, where you can get to it without too much trouble.....Cheers..........Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
But once again the original Factory triumphs! Read Richardson pp.111-112! (I really should be working on my 'bike instead of doing this stuff.) By the way, in my far from humble opinion, the original single pull set up was the best. I can't be bothered to explain why.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I run the single primary cable + junction box on my twin. Without an adjuster on at least one secondary cable , and preferably both you cannot acheive the result you desire. Maybe that's why I had to learn how to make them-up for myself, to be sure to get the desired results.