Simple Questions About Stands - Side and Rear

peterg

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

Used to do the block thing on sidestands, tedious and did not answer the issue of instability. The extension attached may have elevated the machine's list angle from totally alarming to of mild concern but the fact remained, the pad was offset too closely to said machine in this triangle constituting front, rear tire contact patches and the support. The closest to standard appearance answer for a stable side stand is this and click here on my Chassis page and scroll down to Side Stands for recommended approach to setup.

As for the rear stand, the oft recommended method to protect your RFM axle castings is to straddle and then loft the machine clear of the ground, let the rear stand swing down to perpendicular, slowly lower it onto the stand and let it roll backward to the RFM stops. For those for which sciatica has reared its ugly head or are not keen to deadlift nearly 200lbs routinely a variation on that technique wherein one plants a foot against one foot of the rear stand while simultaneously hoisting slightly while pulling backward has the drawback of putting one sort of off balance. But of more concern is the rear stand not gaining sufficient traction to take a set. To ensure the stand taking a plant on any surface as well as distributing the load on soft surfaces through increased surface area, I have modified and affixed the rubber ends off of a standard walking cane. These can be purchased in 4 packs at Lowes and Home Depot in various diameters.

Attachments

• rearstand.jpg
    rearstand.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44

Albervin

VOC Member
Buzz, do you want to now ask a "simple question" about something else? As you have discovered, the word "simple" does not appear in the lexicon of Vincent lore!

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all for the input and recommendations. I just was looking at a sidestand made and available her ein the US by Jim Mosher. I bolts to the left side of the machine behind the clutch housing and looks like a very well thought out and professional set up.

Any one here have experience with this unit? Given a choice I usually prefer a sidestand over a center stand most of the time.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
A curious piece of British cultural lore is that walking sticks, and rubber feet (ferrules) for them are usually sold in tobacconists. Now the problem is to find a tobacconist...

Ducdude

VOC Member
Steve Hamel in St. Paul may stock the sidestand from Aussie Neal Videan; advert in MPH.

I got one of the V3 side stands on my 52 shadow and I love it..Easy to deploy from the saddle and pretty easy to retract while seated on the bike as well....She sits very well on the stand...If you do not mind the loss of the stock look this is a good way to go and removal is a simple affair so you will not lose points at the concourse..;-)

Cheers,
Eric