Simple Questions About Stands - Side and Rear

Buzz Kanter

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
although the machine has 3-count them- i recon the best way is to lean the s o b against a convenient wall + saunter away! -works for me every time , saves embarresment and-more importantly a hernia!(if you can't see the humor turn off now!) Regards Roy.

Sounds like a plan. Better leave it in gear if you are going to lean and walk.

Albervin

VOC Member
Buzz, I have Series C front stands fitted to my B and because a B is lower than a C, these stands are actually useful. Even with a 21" front wheel the C stands keep the bike up at a safe angle. It is strongly advised NOT to use the front stands in unison (to raise the front wheel) without employing the rear stand. This is a real art to achieve and the first time you try it is highly advisable to have an old hand around to instruct. You can use a Dave Hills stand or a Series D type stand for most parking situations but you really need to deploy the rear stand to remove the rear wheel. Another useful stand is the modified Tri*&ph stand sold by Neal Videan. One thing about a Vincent, when it comes to stands and breathers, you will always get a good discussion.

timetraveller

VOC Member
As a rider to all of the above. I bought one of the first stainless steel Dave Hill stands and Dave asked me if I would deliberately start the bike on the stand in order to test its strength. No problems after all these years so I think they are wonderful and as a vertically challenged sort of chap it is a lot easier to start while the bike is on the stand. Please learn the starting technique of dropping the valve lifter while one is half way down with one's kick. I always makes me wince when I see people fiddling around trying to find the right part of the compression cycle before they start the kick and then see the poor bike shuddering under the force of the kick. Take it easy, but take it!

Alan J

VOC Member
Yup, even Vincents aren't perfect! The front stands can be used to get the front wheel off the ground-but not by me! If you fit panniers the rear stand is a no no! Not keen on the tree idea-prefer my sidecar!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
There was a time when I could get my Vincent on to its rear stand. I must have lost the knack, because I can't now. Maybe I lost the knack through lack of practice, because one day I realised that I was not having a dizzy spell, the bike, on its rear stand about 10 feet away, was moving. The rear stand had somehow mastered origami. Down it went. Now I have a Dave Hills stand, and that, and the Neal Videan sidestand, have given more value for money than almost anything else I've upgraded. I can now stop a fully laden (panniers and tank bag) twin, kick down a stand that will hold it up, get off it without needing someone to lift it off me, and put it on the centre stand.
Have you taken a biopsy sample from your right shin with the exhaust tail pipe yet, because to get enough purchase to heave it on to the stand you got your feet a little too close? A pleasure yet to come, then...

clevtrev

VOC Member
Yup, even Vincents aren't perfect! The front stands can be used to get the front wheel off the ground-but not by me! If you fit panniers the rear stand is a no no! Not keen on the tree idea-prefer my sidecar!

Here`s how you put your front stand into operation.
Undo the bolt, to allow the two legs to drop down.
Hook a good bungee strap on one of the feet, making sure it does not ride up the leg.
Move to the front of the bike , stretching the bungee.
Put your foot on the extended bungee.
Grasp hold of the front wheel, and lift.
The stand then moves into postion, so that you can let go of the wheel.
Easy.

Albervin

VOC Member
Trev, you failed to mention the bike has to be on the rear stand first; obvious but it still needs to be stated. After placing the bike on the rear stand I drop the front stand and then, very carefully I bring the bike forward so the rear stand is vertical. The bike is now eased back with the front stand "blocked" by your foot directly behind it. The bike will now be standing off both wheels and depending on how well you have performed the manoeuvre you may want to give the front legs a whack to make sure they all at their full extent. Loosen all nuts and bolts on the wheel before raising the bike as a precaution and make sure the ground is hard and flat. This operation is less hernia inducing than Trev's. Another expedient is to use a small jack under the front of the crankcase (bike on rear stand), raise and drop the front stand then lower the jack just so the bike is sitting on all points (or course with the jack you hardly need to use the front stands at all.

Alan J

VOC Member
All these "helpful hints" just goes to show the original stands were "naff!" I have got a "homemade" centre stand on mine- similar to the "D" stand-and a "jack" in the sidecar! belt and braces!!

mercurycrest

VOC Member
- similar to the "D" stand-

I read somewhere on this forum, that before D's were developed, everything else was just a prototype.
A Satisfied D Owner.:D

clevtrev

VOC Member
Trev, you failed to mention the bike has to be on the rear stand first; obvious but it still needs to be stated. After placing the bike on the rear stand I drop the front stand and then, very carefully I bring the bike forward so the rear stand is vertical. The bike is now eased back with the front stand "blocked" by your foot directly behind it. The bike will now be standing off both wheels and depending on how well you have performed the manoeuvre you may want to give the front legs a whack to make sure they all at their full extent. Loosen all nuts and bolts on the wheel before raising the bike as a precaution and make sure the ground is hard and flat. This operation is less hernia inducing than Trev's. Another expedient is to use a small jack under the front of the crankcase (bike on rear stand), raise and drop the front stand then lower the jack just so the bike is sitting on all points (or course with the jack you hardly need to use the front stands at all.

So when you are out on your travels and get a front wheel puncture, I presume you get the jack out of your topbox ? I just unhook one of the bungees on the carrier and get to work.