Silencer very noisy

fornblau

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all
Sorry for my bad english.
Seeking a quieter silencer.
My comet has installed silencer Spares Co.VOC.
On ebay I bought another silencer and is also very noisy.
Anyone can tell me where I can buy a quieter silencer for my Comet?
Regards.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you are willing to pay the freight then Terry Prince supplies a nice silencer that some people claim is too quiet..... See his details in MPH.

nkt267

VOC Member
How quiet do you want the silencer to be. The bike was designed in the 40's so you cannot expect anything as quiet as a modern bike.
I have had 3 silencers on 2 different Vincent singles and the VOC spiral baffle silencer was the quietest. the Toga straight through was the loudest and could be heard when accelerating, as hard as a Comet can, a Kilometre or more away. The Armours stainless straight through silencer I now have is somewhere between the 2, still not quiet but if a car driver cannot see me he/she can certainly hear me:D. Good luck with your search for a qieter silencer. By the way Twins always seem to sound quieter compared to singles even on the same silencer. John

nobby

VOC Member
With a Supertrapp and a standard pipe you can tune the noise a little without performance loss, But I am using a 2" stainless Supertrapp with open cone and it produces a lot of noise, although not more then the VOC pipe...

Black Flash

VOC Member
Be prepared that you will loose the edge on your Comet with a silencer that is less noisy, especially should you have a MKII cam fitted.
I love loud silencers!!! they make you feel special between all these turbine like engines of modern motorcycles.
I have a Triumph Thruxton 2005 model, I do not like the handling at all, but the major reason I use my TVR when the sun is shining is this wonderful V8 burble and pops and bangs on the overrun, while the Triumph sounds like a sewing machine.

nuff said
Bernd

nkt267

VOC Member
We borrowed a new triumph for an afternoon a couple of years ago. The wife didn't like it "Can't hear the engine,I don't like it!" said 'she who must be obeyed'. Now where can I get a louder silencer?..John

Howard

VOC Member
We borrowed a new triumph for an afternoon a couple of years ago. The wife didn't like it "Can't hear the engine,I don't like it!" said 'she who must be obeyed'. Now where can I get a louder silencer?..John

Nowt like a good loud exhaust when the wife's riding pillion. The louder the silencer, the more peace and quiet I get.

H

Alan J

VOC Member
Be careful, Howard -some "dearly beloved" may read your comment and "shop" you! To my old ears Comets always sound "harsh", what ever the silencer!

Howard

VOC Member
Be careful, Howard -some "dearly beloved" may read your comment and "shop" you! To my old ears Comets always sound "harsh", what ever the silencer!

Alan

They'll have to write to the other half - she doesn't hear too well - something to do with noisy exhausts.:)

Seriously, you're right about Comets, they do seem harsh. When I raced a Comet the noise meter used to run off and hide, but other 500 singles used to sound "road legal" with open pipes. Something to do with how quickly the exhaust valve opens ????

H

davidd

VOC Member
Dear Fornblau,

I remember when the Club silencer was tested by John Renwick (published in MPH) and he listed the decibels at 98, I bleieve. I thought that was very high for something called a "silencer" and realized that it was not for me. I would buy one of the quieter ones mentioned by members with some experience. If you find the "edge" has gone from the performance, you might consider the 105 cams as they were designed for performance with some restriction. The Super Trap is good if the non original looks do not bother you.

David