PT: Exhaust Silencer Mod

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Someone recently suggested cutting a slot in the tail pipe to reduce the exhaust noise, and I can't find the comment now.

I did as suggested and the difference is amazing, not a lot quieter, but a much nicer sound that complements a run, rather than being annoying.

Whoever it was, thanks!

Howard

ps, talking of annoying noises, I might try cutting a slot in my wife's crash hat to see if it works on that as well. :D :D :D

vibrac

VOC Member
Since women have joined the subject of silence and slots perhaps a braver man than me can pose a joke.... ;)

To bring us back on thread here is the extension on my Trigrumph all the 1/4 holes (around 3 sides) add up and equal the area of the exhaust outlet before I added the extension the end has a washer welded on with a 1/4 hole
1593184786451.png

Howard

VOC Member
Since women have joined the subject of silence and slots perhaps a braver man than me can pose a joke.... ;)

To bring us back on thread here is the extension on my Trigrumph all the 1/4 holes (around 3 sides) add up and equal the area of the exhaust outlet before I added the extension the end has a washer welded on with a 1/4 hole
View attachment 35715
I think that would be too restrictive for Mk2s. I also think that even though the area is the same, the resistance at the multiple peripheries may be more important ................... and no, I'm not going to do the maths it's Friday night and the pub's open ................... Oh bugga it's not, where's my calculator? :D :D :D

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Multiple small holes will always be more restrictive than one big one surely due to turbulence at the edge of each hole.

vibrac

VOC Member
turbulence increases if the holes are punched in order to raise the holes edges inwards this technique is used in some commercial silencers
Turbulence is of course that which leaches energy from the gasses ie quietens

vibrac

VOC Member
trying to get the Flash under the limit for track days I made a 2" absorption straight through but made the walls 1/4" thick it did the trick but weighed a fair bit
this was my post #48 and picture