Silencer for series c comet

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I started a discussion on this subject 2 or 3 years ago and there was not really any conclusion on what is the best option. What is the present view please?

Basically some thought the VOC spares one was pretty good but a little noisy and possibly a bit restrictive.

I tried an Armours one which was well made, fitted well, a good price, but very noisy on my Comet. However it was less noisy on my friend's Rapide - I think because the Rapide with its larger engine is being worked less hard and the two pipes may change the tuning/matching to advantage, so he has kept it.

When I bought the bike in 1956 it had the original Burgess, which sounded good to me then and the Comet seemed to go quite well - but this may be due to "The Older I Get the Better It Was " syndrome!!

I have two silencers now which I use - both very old. One still looks good and was a pattern one bought about 45 years ago. The baffles worked loose, went rusty and blew out on a run round the TTcourse a few years ago. As a result it is just a hollow can and very noisy but the Comet performance is excellent.

The other one was provided to me by Tony East in the Isle of Man (second hand) when I thought the one I blew out was too noisy to drive home with. It was quiet, but blued up in the middle - indicating some sort of restriction, but significantly reduced the performance. So I swap them around depending on the type of run I am going to make. The last few times I have ridden from Essex to the Manx Rally I have used the noisy one and got away with it OK.

I really now need a new silencer which is reasonably quiet and does not reduce the performance too much.

Anyone found the best compromise for a Comet please before I set out for the Manx again?

Matty

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Alan, whatever you choose, avoid those made by Campbells. They are too restrictive, especially on Twins and,as you say, the centre section goes blue indicating a hot spot.
Difficult to advise an option. Absorbtion type are usually quiet(ish) when new but lose their effectiveness in time. Some poorly made examples suffer from loose baffles. VOC Spares Co. put much research into their version-may still be available.

Matty

VOC Member
Thanks Len

Hi I can't make the quick reply work so have replied this way

Matty

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Triumphs in the 50-60s used mufflers by Burgess . Lovely tone , not too loud , get quieter with age and fast . A straight through glas PAC type . Later ones had a Bobby spoon by law to reduce noise , it reduced power too . The correct one has a 1& 3/4 inch inlet so needing a bit of shimming to accept our 1& 5/8inch pipe . Did I say they have the best chrome ever ?
We are still using one I bought in the 50s , it's on Matt's Shadow . Plating still lovely . It's gotten very quiet over the years , quieter than a Vincent unit in fact . Coventry Spares sold lovely replicas of these , may still have them . A different shape than a Vincent muffler but damn handsome .
Burgess also made some very nice Vincent pattern mufflers some years back .
I know a weird trick that will quieten any muffler , glas PAC or metal baffel . Bet none of you can guess it in a million years . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Our Vincent mufflers are patterned internally after the famous " Carbjector " design used on only top line fast motorcycles like the Brough Superior . It claimed to boost speed and did so with a very pleasant tone . I studied the design and had a bit of a hand in the latest Club mufflers with my suggestions . A bit louder tho . I only cared that they went consistanly fast as many earlier ones were slow , this blamed on the engines but not so in fact . I've told the story before , may do so again if there is real interest in it . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Toga made lovely replica muffler copy's of our Vincent silencer both a very quiet baffled one and a glas PAC straight thro unit .
The baffled one was super restrictive so useless , and the glas pack unit was rather loud but very fast . Sid.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I just found a piece I'd written on the Carbjector back years ago on Google . Look it up if interested . Sid .

Matty

VOC Member
Hi All
Thanks for your advice, but so far I have not been able to fathom out what is the best compromise performance/noise for my Comet.
It would seem that the Carbjector is the best compromise, but is this the same internal design as the VOC spares one - I have never heard of the Carbjector before and assume this is only available in the USA?
If not the same as the VOC one, where could I get one with the same internals as the Carbjector in the UK please.

Matty