Silencer for Series C Comet

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
My Spares Co spiral baffle, fitted on my Comet, also failed in the same manner as Neil described.

Colin

VOC Member
I Blew the 'innards out of the Burgess straight thro' silencer I had on my Egli Comet some years ago. A number of replacements proved unsatisfactory, so in the end I went to my local blacksmith and he made me a length of perforated pipe which slipped straight into the old Burgess with the inner end held in the piece of silencer next to the pipe and the outer end secured by a 1/4 bolt through the Burgess into the new pipe. Ther were a couple of slanting baffles in the new pipe. Pull the pipe out, bung up holes or make new ones to alternoise etc and even pack fibreglass wool inside. Dead easy to fiddle with, Occassionly I ran it without the pipe. Alternatively get a spiral baffle silencer from the Spares co

Matty

VOC Member
Thanks again - but so far nobody seems to have found a silencer which looks like the original, is fairly quiet, gives good performance, and lasts a reasonable time on a Comet.

The Armours one I bought was VERY noisy on my Comet, but seems quieter now fitted to my friends Rapide - I think this must be due to the Rapide engine generally being run at smaller throttle openings and so sounding quieter with less "crackle" where each cylinder is doing about half the work of the Comet one under the same conditions.

However we thought the Armours steel silencer was well made, with good quality chrome and sold at a very competitive price.

I gather from above however that Armours stainless silencer is not a spiral baffle one and is therefore probably also very noisy, so this will not help me or others with simular problems.

Matty

Matty

VOC Member
Hi

The spiral baffle silencer on Ebay is a "Pattern" one (it is certainly not Burgess) and is sold new by Classic Bike Shop.

Has anybody any experience of this silencer as used on a Series C Comet please, and if so is it noisy and/or restrictive and of good quality etc.

Matty

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hi All,
the pattern spiral baffle we had on my brothers Comet was made by Campbell and blew its innards completely within a 150 miles ride. Maybe due to the MK II cam I do not know.
Certainly was not worth the effort

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi all
Getting a standard silencer that works well and gives good performance will be very hard,a friend who custom builds silencers says that the standard silencer is too small to be able to quieten the noise without being too restrictive.My own experience seems to back this up,for several years i have been running a norvin with mk2s 34mm carbs etc with an armours goldstar silencer-quite noisy but runs great then i got a comet with a standardish silencer (not sure what make i think its probably vosc)not too loud but has a definite crack to it and runs ok.Now i recently got a shadow mk3s and 32mm amals with air filters,on it was an empty standard silencer,went well but very noisy.With it was a stainless spiral baffle silencer so i fitted this, it was so quiet all you could hear were the rattles!!! and it was as flat as anything,so i whipped the one off the comet and used that.This now runs well up to about 3500rpm then goes flat but sounds "normal",I have taken the air filters off and am waiting for it to dry up so i can give it a run,if it still runs flat i shall try the goldie off the norvin which i know is ok.I have no doubt the stainless one now fited to the comet will have to be replaced it was just too restrictive.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi All

The saga continues. These are some of the things I have found out in the last day or so.

Armours steel plated silencer is straight through absobtion type - very noisy but good quality - more noisy it seems on a Comet than a Rapide.
Armours stainless silencer is also a straight thro' absorbtion type but with some damping wadding - will still be noisy but hopefully quieter than the steel one. Price £75/£80 + Vat

VOC spares state that their silencer is NOT now the same pattern one which had breaking up problems a few years ago and is now very long lasting. It is a spiral baffle, made to their specification, fairly quiet, plated steel silencer and has been developed and properly tested on a dyno for good performance. I get the impression it is still a little noisy and a little power is lost with the damping but they have tried to make the best compromise. Unfortunately it is rather expensive at around £145 +Vat

Most of the others as far as I can see, seem to be either very noisy, poor quality or very restrictive if spiral baffle.

I shall be delighted to be corrected on this view if anybody has found anything better, which still looks simular to the original Burgess fitted by the factory.

Matty

Henry Martini

Non-VOC Member
Russ Kemp Silencer

Hi All,
Over the last 25 Years I have used and abused more than 10 Silencer's from Toga's to VOCSC (new & old) and the last and best of all was the Stainless one that Ron Kemp USED !!!! to supply I purchased 2 of them from Russ Kemp last year one for my Rapide and one
for a friends Shadow both were none spiral baffle S/S types in the case of both bikes the transformation was marked, less restrictive yet quieter than most other Silencers I have used and an unexpected bonus my Rapide became a first kick starter. Now the bad news I let the silencer
go with my Rapide when I sold it to Germany and guess what, Russ no longer supply's them I understand his supplier put the price up last year due to the increase in the price of stainless steel at a previous price of less then £100 I for one would gladly pay up to that price charged
by the Owners club for their offering. The Kemp unit was I believe the result of much work undertaken by Ron Kemp some years ago. I would hope that Russ might reconsider stocking his very satisfactory silencer. I would like to hear what other Kemp S/S Silencer users have to say.

Henry Martini

Matty

VOC Member
Hi Henry

I have rung Russel Kemp in the last day or so and can confirm that he no longer supplies silencers.

If the stainless one he sold was a s/s straight thro' absorbsion type ie. not spiral baffle, then the s/s one that Armours supply at around £100 would seem, on the face of it, to be very much like Kemp's discontinued one. Have you any thoughts on or experience of this Armours one please.

If you have used the latest VOCSC silencer, how well has this worked for you - is it really fairly quiet and not too restrictive - it may be the only solution for our friends in Germany who have nasty noise restrictions but are possibly better off than we are?

Matty