PT: Exhaust Silence please!

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just got the Egli Comet easing into a useful tool I fitted a goldstar silencer it looks the part unfortunately its on the cusp of being a bit too noisy in town or around home for me. has anyone fitted a mute to one of these (I am reminded of the type of Tiger cub end mute of times gone by)
I want it removable as I do a spot of track day fun. Oh and its not a real gold star its a new cheepo copy.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Does it twitter, not that modern definition of twittering, the sort of Busy Bee - Ace Cafe twittering.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Being a bit too noisy!?
On my 10.5 :1 Terry Prince Comet with his MKIV cam my meter was reading 120dba.
An earthshattering, earbleeding thunder. I fitted a decibel killer, stuffed it with wire wool, all sorts. To cut a long story short I ditched it.
A straight through type from Armours is still very loud, but much more pleasant,yet still too much to pass German mot on the TPV.
CHEERS BERND

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Here in Victoria (Oz) we are rather fortunate. In regards to noise our bikes are required to comply with the regulations that were in force at the time of original manufacture. Now back in the early 1950's there were no such regulations - just the requirement to have a muffler/silencer fitted with no mention of effectiveness.

vibrac

VOC Member
I seem to remember the mute was a star shape that fitted in the outlet pipe, cant remember if it was paralell or converging in some way. Like a lot of racing crew nowadays I have a Db meter.....
Further to the Gold star twitter its a lot more serendipitous than a cam, nobody planned the sound, a lot of variables came together. Most of them are also on the B31 but there ain't no twitter there even with a goldie silencer