sidecar tug from the past

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does this Comet look familiar to anyone? I had it for several years in my barn and sold it in the late 80's without knowing much of its history, though it seems to have been used pretty hard and put away wet. It came from a fellow who owned it in California, but may have had a history overseas, from what I remember. It had a decal of the Red Baron on its chopped tank, and some interesting things like a rear head and older brake plates. Somebody took the time to take an interesting collection of parts and have a go at it.

Ron

Attachments

• Vincent, Bowdoin Barn 025.jpg
    Vincent, Bowdoin Barn 025.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 86

davidd

VOC Member
Ron,

Yes. Carleton owned it a few years ago. Brian Greenfield identified it as one of the Australian side car racers. It has been restored and is owned by a friend of mine. It still has the rear head. If you look in the Comet Norton Gearbox Conversion post there are some photos posted of it by me.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Here is a shot of it now:

014.JPG

Big Sid wanted a small tank for Tina and I sent him this. I think he is still laughing. I measured the capacity because the rules state you must carry 1.5 Gal.

100_2613.jpg

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I am really pleased that it is on its way back and the new owner has a bit of history to talk about now. Thank you for the pictures. It is amazing how these things seem to resurrect themselves after years in dark places. Lazarus. here is a picture of the way my nearly ready B Rapide looked when I got it. Between my brother and I, over a couple of decades, we have it nearly back to life.
rapide basket case044.jpg
rapide basket case046.jpg

"I think we are in rats’ alley
Where the dead men lost their bones."
Ron