H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Sidecar outfit tyre wear.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, when built about 40 years ago had about 14" of sidecar wheel lead this proved to be dangerous as it would not go round right handers in the wet. I found the reason by reading one of PEIs excellent articles. It has about 10" now, about 1" toe in and around 1" or perhaps a little more lean out. The wheel alignment is fine although the rear wheel has a slight dish to give clearance for the 125 15 tyre. John.
Hello John,I have run my outfit with a350-16 tyre on the front and sidecar wheels (Heidenau seitenwagen)and a125x15 radial on the rear.I find this to be the ideal combination (sorry!) The outfit steers fine without a bias left or right although left turns might be improved by using stronger rear springs. I have never had problems with unusual tyre wear.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Len, my outfit feels good on the road steers well but has always worn the back tyre unevenly. The first rims were 13" but they proved to not give adequate ground clearance. Regards John.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi John. I reckon you will have to stop drifting round right Handers! Been the route of 13” and 15” wheels myself but all seemed ok with rear tyre wear. I can only think to check the lean out, especially with you sitting on it and that the rear springs are strong enough. Good luck.