H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Sidecar outfit tyre wear.

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A question for the those of the three wheel persuasion. What is reason that the rear tyre on my machine wears more on the outside of the outfit.
I must have an alignment wrong or are outfits such an mechanical disaster that this is what happens? John.

vibrac

VOC Member
The one item you wont find is a consensus on is how far the sidecar wheel can lead the rear wheel, Toe in Yes, lean inwards yes, but I have seen recommendations of between 2 and 10 inches for lead I was very pleased with my Comet Trials sidecar at eight inches but the rest of the set up way off standard. One thing I took it in out in the snow and did a u turn and within a bike length I was back in the inward wheel tracks!

deejay499

VOC Member
As well as Vibrac’s post, it is well worth checking wheel alignment with a string line, as well as lean out with you sitting on it, as the bike suspension is softer than the sidecar.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, when built about 40 years ago had about 14" of sidecar wheel lead this proved to be dangerous as it would not go round right handers in the wet. I found the reason by reading one of PEIs excellent articles. It has about 10" now, about 1" toe in and around 1" or perhaps a little more lean out. The wheel alignment is fine although the rear wheel has a slight dish to give clearance for the 125 15 tyre. John.

Kiwi_Tim

VOC Member
assuming a LH fitted sidecar, on a left hand corner the rear wheel is loaded up with the sidecar weight, whereas on a rh corner the rear wheel unloads and the sidecar wheel takes on the load.
Is this a road or a track sidecar. certainly track rigs have quite pronounced wear patterns which is different for clockwise and anticlockwise circuits.
presumably your running sidecar tyres?

john998

VOC Member
Hello, using 2CV tyres, 125 15" one tyre is even marked 2 CV club.
Starting to wonder about the wheel alignment/ dish in rear wheel.
John.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi John. Sounds like you've got too much toe-in for your car type tyres. Wider tyres typically need less toe-in compared to thinner motorcycle tyres. Dish or offset in the rim shouldn't make much difference to wear, rather it just increases the track width which is never a bad thing. Pleased to hear you're wearing these tyres out. :)