Side logo on a 'B' tank

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
As membership secretaries! we have had a request from an American member asking for details regarding the exact dimensions of the elongated D shape around the HRD logo on his Series 'B' fuel tank.
He quotes MPH 547 of August 1994 as having information but is querying the accuracy of it.
He is asking for the overall length and width of the D shape and also the width of the gold line.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Ron and Linda

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm but remember that these were all drawn freehand without a template. Certainly these days it is common to see 'B' tanks with widely different 'D' shaped gold lines on their sides. It would be nice to think that there is a unique answer to this question but my best guess is that the series in MPH by Eddie Stevens is likely to be the best information available. When it came to the lines on top of 'C' tanks I used Eddie's values to make a fibreglass 'cap' for the top of the tank and then after scribing a line down the centre of this moulding I measured equal amounts off this centre line down both sides and trimmed the fibreglass to act as a template. Being totally lacking in artistic skill this gives me some chance of getting both sides of the line equal. Prior to this I looked at one tank which was supposed to be unrestored from new and found one side 3/4" different from the other but non of us had ever noticed.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
I guess that his desire is to have it exactly as it left the factory but like you say with freehand applied gold lining he may have to settle for the general consensus of opinion as to what will look right.
So much emphasis on originality these days linked to maintaining maximum value, can be a burden.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The only tip I can give you is make sure the logo and the "D" surrounding it is level square with the base of the tank. You see so many with the logo, whether it is the Vincent or HRD, all cock eyed ........Looks terrible. I have found looking at some (not all) of the bikes in "Original Vincent" to be very helpful.

Albervin

VOC Member
The eye is the best judge. In 1947 there was no CAD, no graphix design, no 3D logic. It was as it was. These Americans are becoming totally anal about something that was free form and had nothing to do with dimensions. I have seen prize winning Bs here that have had all the tank graphics laid down by eye in relation to an original. Do you know that the eye of a sober, middle aged man can pick a 5-8 thou differentiation?

davidd

VOC Member
I read the article again and I did not see any dimensions specified for the "D". If I were they, I would look at a couple of early photos and pick the one that looked best to them. I think it would be hard to argue against it.

1947The_Motor_Cycle_1.jpg

David

nkt267

VOC Member
Well that link doesn't work..
Main VOC tab at top of this page. sign in. under Articles then throwing light and the link is at the bottom of the page..John