Sid here . Topic . Clutch tips both the original and multiplate .

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sid again . As for clutch pushrods , steel drill rod is a good replacement , and my own Shadow ran two sections of hard aluminum quarter inch rod stock hard anodized with a single 1/4 by 1/4 inch roller in the middle , HMP grease lubricated . An experiment to lessen the effects of case expansion across from side to side which alters cable lash cold to hot . It did indeed lessen this change as the rods grew in length along with the motor case . I still have one of the rod halves having made a spare pair . Light as a feather , no wear on its ends and it was run in the motor for many miles .
Vincent owners are indeed always seeking to improve bit here and there . This gave rise to monthly reports in early MPH titled " whip it's " , from whip it apart for an upgrade .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Been there, done that. I found that over the log run with much use the alloy did not hold up as a good bearing surface. As far as expansion goes: the slight increase in lever free play was barely noticeable.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Perhaps because I mostly rode on back country roads and trips on the HW , not much town work , ie less gear changing . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I lived and had my shop for 18 years in the remote wilds of the Catskill Mountains 4 miles up a single lane dirt road ...... with a name like Rip: where else? One year when I was in Nashville I rented out my house.... grabbed my cameras and
put 24,000 miles on the Shadow.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Proving how reliable just how good a well stitched together Vincent is . Nothing else was its equal in the era of its creation nor for a long while after . Certainly nothing as satisfying or beautiful . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
On one phase of my long ride I did Nashville, TN 1000 miles, to Poughkeepsie, NY in 17 hours. After the time it takes to go through the sore ass and other discomforts all disappears and you become a part of the machine. Cruising at night at 90
0n I-81 becomes positively relaxing!

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
One of the things I loved to do to keep myself amused during these long night rides was to take on the fellow in the sports cars who roared past me when i was doing my usual 80-90 cruse . So, still keeping it in fifth I'd slowly catch up to the guy
at a distance matching his speed. I would hang back there awhile until i figured the time was right.... usually a downhill grade.... then i'd kick down two, red-line into forth, and pass that sucker so i could hit 5th at his window and disappear!